• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Whip Antenna Question

pbrstreetgang

Need some input on an idea I had.

Would it be possible to run FM Antenna wire up the middle of the antenna or possibly even wrap it around the outside of a military antenna and use with a FM radio receiver.

I would then tie it down along the passenger side of the truck from the rear.

My M1009 is going to be a daily driver.

Also, where can I find information on this site about radio and speaker installations. People talk about building inserts like the CUCV Winter kit, but I cannot find any pictures to reference.

Thanks,

PBRSTREETGANG

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,

Do you intend to transmit on the military antenna also? If so, it'd be ill-advised to put the FM (good-time radio) antenna so close. If you don't intend to transmit, sure you can use the mil antenna.

Depending on the type, you can even hook the FM cable to the antenna. Most FM antennas are high feed point impedance anyway. Some antennas have matching circuits in the base (like common AS-1729/VRC) and those would not be suitable to use with a direct connection (would probably look like a short at FM freqs). A type antenna with no matching circuits (like AB-15, etc) would work great as an FM antenna (good CB antenna too).

Bob

Need some input on an idea I had.

Would it be possible to run FM Antenna wire up the middle of the antenna or possibly even wrap it around the outside of a military antenna and use with a FM radio receiver.

I would then tie it down along the passenger side of the truck from the rear.

My M1009 is going to be a daily driver.

Also, where can I find information on this site about radio and speaker installations. People talk about building inserts like the CUCV Winter kit, but I cannot find any pictures to reference.

Thanks,

PBRSTREETGANG

pbrstreetgang

No transmitting, just picking up some NPR once and again. The AS-1729/VRC is exactly the type that I would like to use. Sounds like it might not work out like I want it to though.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No harm in trying it since you are not going to transmit through it. Set the matching network switch to the highest band (it tunes up to 88 MHz, the bottom of the FM band!) and it might work great. Technically, your FM radio prefers a high impedance antenna and the 1729 is low (52 Ohm +/-) but what the heck, try it!

Bob

No transmitting, just picking up some NPR once and again. The AS-1729/VRC is exactly the type that I would like to use. Sounds like it might not work out like I want it to though.

snock

Just use the AS-1729 as is. I have two of these on my M1009 with one connected to a functioning RT-524A and the other I will connect up to my Yaesu FT-817 transceiver when I take it with me. The FT-817 will receive on the FM broadcast band and I have no problems at all. I also use the unit for listening on the AM broadcast band and shortwave bands as well as transmitting on 6m, 2m, and 70cm.

Not the most ideal thing in the world but not bad.

pbrstreetgang

As long as I can pick up the local radio stations in my area say I will be happy. I live in a kind of radio black out zone anyway, no good radio stations. That is why I run an Ipod on a tape adapter. Sounds like I will be able to use the antenna to some degree stock without any modifications. If I have trouble, I will run some wire up the middle or wrap it around.

When I get the truck running I will celebrate by drinking a Papa Bravo Rome.

Cheers and Thank You gents for the info.

Midnight Rider

What about one of those "hidden" antennas that you stick on your windshield? I am thinking about one when I go to put a stereo in my M1009. I found one on Ebay and the link is below.

Car Stereo Amplified Hidden Antenna AM / FM reception:eBay Motors (item 170361181054 end time Jul-26-09 14:33:07 PDT)

I have something similar to that in my truck. It works as good as a regular antenna.

Mine's not really hidden though. It's attached at the top of the windshield above the rear view mirror.

I did have to re-attach it using the glue for the rear view mirror. The provide sticky tape stuff gave way when it got hot out.

I'll try and post up a pic of mine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks