• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 width tire to tire

robertss

I recently won an M1009. I have to drive 6 hours to pick it up and want to make sure my trailer will be able to haul it.

the data plate lists the vehicle width as 79.6 in., but that seems like that is at the widest parts of the body. Can anyone with the standard size tires give me a width from outside edge of tire to tire?

robertss

I swear I stared at the TM until I couldn't stay awake last night and never found it, but I just took another look and found a dimension for track width.

Is that dimension from tire centerlines?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you initiated your thread the software threw up some similar threads. The software also lists the same threads at the bottom of the page. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on one of the links, you will find the answer. Sure, I could have typed it faster but this info may help others in finding info on the site.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget to allow for variables like, camber
,toe-out and tires. The front should be slightly wider than the rear.

How wide is your trailer? Mine is 83 inches wide and they fit.

SpecWarSquid

Hey Rob. I just trailered my M1009 back to my place a couple months ago. The 79.6" dimension seems right and is measured from the outside surface of the tires. Or atleast the outer edge of the tread pattern. The front axle, that is. It seems my rear axle measures slightly narrower. The body itself (not including the side mirrors) IIRC measures somewhere around 84 or 86 inches (at it's widest). Double check that for yourself though.

I barrowed my buddy's 18ft skid-steer flat bed to bring mine back and the insides of the trailer fenders where 80 inches and just kissed my front tires as they rolled by. I measured the width of the body to see if I could run with the trailer's bedsides but it was too close and I didn't want to beat up the sides of the truck.

HTH

robertss

Thank you all for the info. I checked all the sources listed, had another guy measure his rig and did more searching and came to the conclusion I didnt want...It aint gonna fit!

My trailer is only 76 in wide fender to fender. Looks like alternate arrangements will be made. Thank you all again for the help.

robertss

I just left from there, no car trailers available at any location in town and the tow dollies arent wide enough. But I did find a co-worker's dad that has an 18 ft trailer he uses to retrieve CUCVs and other green iron. All is going to be well. I'll post picks of the thing when I get it home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks