• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 winter fuel jelling?

camojcory

I am looking at buying a M1009 as a daily driver and I live in South Dakota where we can get some pretty nasty winters. I am new to diesel trucks and i have heard people complain about diesel fuel jelling in the cold weather. As my truck would be parked outside, is this a concern with these trucks? Do they have block heaters or do i need to install one? Any thing else i should worry about with one of these in freezing temps?

Any first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Mudstone

i had my truck in CT last winter and it was fairly cold. ensure your GP system is operating 100% glow plugs in these trucks are crazy important. As for a block heater. I didn't need it but it would make everything easier and it can't hurt. There are a ton of fuel additives that you can use to prevent gelling. I think i remember reading one member used to add a bit of gasoline to his fuel and that would prevent it. I honestly don't think gelling would be an issue on a truck that is going to get used often and with the current fuels on the market i don't think it's as much of an issue as in the past.

i'm curious to see what further posters to this site will have to say. There is a TON of knowledge in here.

tractors0130

The ULSD that we make at the refinery I work at has a pour point ( lowest temperature at which the fuel can be pumped or poured) of < -35 deg. F. As long as your buying fuel at the pump that is usually also blended for winter with #1 fuel there should be no issues of gelling or freezing. You can always use additive that has a pour point depressant and a lubricity agent if your nervous.

rnd-motorsports

just like semi you keep the anti gel like power serve,911 and others in the fuel you will not have any problems a block heater will help with restart and just park with the front out of wind will make a dif.

Last edited:

hovenga67

I didn't have any problem at all last winter. I run power service anti gel. By the way 911 is not an anti gel. It is only for after it is gelled. I keep some in the truck just in case. As long as your glow plugs and starter are good you will be fine. The 24 volt stater is awesome on these.
Brent

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't have any problem at all last winter. I run power service anti gel. By the way 911 is not an anti gel. It is only for after it is gelled. I keep some in the truck just in case. As long as your glow plugs and starter are good you will be fine. The 24 volt stater is awesome on these.
Brent
Incorrect, first off 911 is a brand name, not a product. They have 3 varieties/versions of their products(maybe more)

They are identified by the color of the container.

White, silver and red.

Read the product info for proper use.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ULSD that we make at the refinery I work at has a pour point ( lowest temperature at which the fuel can be pumped or poured) of < -35 deg. F. As long as your buying fuel at the pump that is usually also blended for winter with #1 fuel there should be no issues of gelling or freezing. You can always use additive that has a pour point depressant and a lubricity agent if your nervous.

With ULSD, I don't have much trouble with "gelling" but, we do have trouble with "waxing". (Molecular chain linking)

Can you offer any advise on that issue?

firecontrol86

I just use a diesel additive from auto zone, they have a few different ones. I'm in northern IL and we had a pretty good winter last year, after replacing my glow plugs that were going bad anyway it started and ran just fine. I kinda want a block heater just to make it even easier, but if I don't get one it'll still be fine. I also thought of making a grill dam for the front so it'll warm up faster.

hovenga67

Not trying to argue but what I was talking about is powersevice they make three different kinds of additive one is a summer additive with cetane boost, one is anti gel and one is for after it is gelled. The 911 is for after it is gelled. I can get the **** out of the back of my truck and take a pic. I work on semi's and have seen what happens when you use just 911. Also a little gas does work good. #1 also but its isn't available around here anymore.
Brent

SasquatchSanta

I live in Northeastern Minnesota --- about 50 miles from Frostbite Falls (International Falls). In the lower 48 this area is about as cold at it gets. In the winter I run straight number one diesel with Marvels Mystery oil for lubricity. With the new fuel formulations even number one is only good for -35 below zero. I no longer trust the fuel additives. The long haul guys can get by in arctic conditions because they keep their trucks running and warm fuel constantly circulating back to the tank. After an 8 hour shift working at a job the fuel is cold as ice and after warmng up and cooling off moisture forms. Wax isn't a problem with Nr-1 diesel but H20 and jelling is.

I'm not traying to be dooms-dayer and granted this area is untra estreme but I will never have another diesel for cold weather operation. I don't like walking at 40 brelow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks