• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 wiper promblem

ryan77

My wipers on my m1009 dont work always, they stop mid wipe and work real slow, should i change the motor? my switch is hard to turn i dont think it was ever used so im changing the switch anyways.

Redneck

Check the drive arms under the wiper cowling, there are normally plastic bushing where the arms connect, and sometimes they dry out and crack. It would not hurt to either spray some lub or put a dab of grease on these anyways. It doesn't sound like this is your issue, but this is an area that is normally overlooked when it comes to maintenace.

ryan77

They look good and i lubed them, its weird they will work and then stop, go slow,stop and then just start working?????what the heck?????aua

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could be the noise suppressors/capacitors. They are known to dry out and cause issues.

Bypass them and see if that fixes the problem.

rlwm211

The wiring diagram for the wiper circuit is the apparently the same for the M1009 and the civvy version with the addition of suippresors to minimize electrical noise on the communications systems.

What this means is that once the wipers are engaged, the power to operate them is continuous unless the park switch is activated.

Additionally, if your wipers change speeds and run erratically, it is a problem either with the power coming into the motor, through the suppresor as suggested previously in this post, or else it is a motor problem alone.

I guess what I am trying to say is this:

Once you turn the wipers on, and they do start, they cannot stop until you turn the wiper switch to stop them; not because the wiper switch shuts off the power, but because the stop command moves a solenoid and when the cam in the motor comes around, places the wipers in park and then stops power.

The wiper motor always has power fed to it so it is not a switch problem if they work at all and must be a different problem than the switch.

If the radio suppressors are plugged in with a modular design , I would remove the suppressor module and see if the problem disappears, and if not I would strongly suggest the wiper motor.

tm9-2320-289-20.pdf has the relevant wiring diagrams in Appendix F
This TM is available in the resources section of the site.

Hope this helps

RL

OD Heavy Hauler

The noise suppressors for wiper motor mounted on firewall right below wiper motor? On a bracket holding three of those capacitor type devices? Correct? I too have a random wiper issue but was thinking motor may have been getting ready to go out.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The noise suppressors for wiper motor mounted on firewall right below wiper motor? On a bracket holding three of those capacitor type devices? Correct? I too have a random wiper issue but was thinking motor may have been getting ready to go out.

Those are the correct suppressors/capacitors.

Not saying that your wiper motor may have issues but thremoving the capacitors if an quick and cheap test.

Last edited:

topgun217

I followed Warthog's advise and that did the trick for me! I know this may sound strange, but after I bypassed the noise suppressors and the wiper starting working somewhat properly, I went ahead and put a good coating of Rain-x on the windshield and that seemed to help a bit more as well by coating the glass the wiper slid across better.

Just a thought

rlwm211

If you look at the circuit, you will see that the "stop" command is sent to a solenoid that interrupts the run mode, and also interrupts its own power. When the switch is turned to the on position, the off solenoid is powered out of the notch in the cam on the main motor drive. If you remove the cover on the wiper motor you can see this in operation.
It took me a long time to understand how this works on a GM but it is very simple once you understand how the commands are implemented.
There is an electrically operated solenoid that rides on the outside of the gear. When it is pushed by the solenoid, it actually physically drops into a notch on the cam, and as a result interrupts the power to the motor. This is the only way to stop the motor and make the wipers park.
If your wipers are running and will not stop check to see that the solenoid is getting power, and the command to stop, and it is, and still does not act, then it is the solenoid, and the motor assembly that needs service. I cannot remember if the attachments to the motor are available without the motor assembly asa whole.

Last edited:

dieselpony

What does it mean if your wipers work fine EXCEPT they won't park when you turn off the switch ?
Do the wipers stop but not return to park position when switched off, or don't they stop at all.

In both cases it is mostly a problem with the electrical connections. Inspect both of the plugs on the wiper (2-prong and 3-prong). It is possible to open and clean them. Also make sure the ground cable isn't corroded at the chassis end.

Walter