• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Wipers

ssdvc

So, pulled the cowl, cleaned out beneath the screens and lubed everything. Removed the arm from the ball too and lubed that. Arms move a bit easier now, but nothing that really made a difference. I did mark the hood hinge and just loosened the two bolts that hold it in position, then removed the rear bolt and figured out how to bend the hinge and bring the hood down to make room to remove the cowl and screen. It wasn't that hard, just had to use my brain to figure it out (have a headache now). Rick, I am thinking it could be electrical, so I'll be checking that, weather permitting, tomorrow, as the sun has disappeared and it is drizzling out there now. While I was at it, I also put my "Winter Front" on.

On another note, when I pull the wiper arms off to remove the cowl, on both of them the spring loaded clips that hold them on the stubs coming out of the cowl broke off. Took them back to Advanced Auto and they replaced them for free (gotta love that lifetime replacement warranty). Unfortunately, they had to order the arms, as they were not in stock. They'll be in Tuesday.

Attachments

ssdvc

It is my winter grill cover. Inexpensive Home Depot pipe insulation and a few zip ties. I do it every winter. It makes a difference in the amount of heat I can squeeze out of her in the winter. Diesels are fairly cold blooded and combined with no insulation inside, she can stay a bit of the cooler side when the temps drop below 30 degrees. The cab doesn't want to get as warm as a modern car, so putting something up front to block airflow over the radiator helps to get a bit more heat in the cab. I also have some cheap seat heaters and they work great !!!!!!!!

dougco1

It is my winter grill cover. Inexpensive Home Depot pipe insulation and a few zip ties. I do it every winter. It makes a difference in the amount of heat I can squeeze out of her in the winter. Diesels are fairly cold blooded and combined with no insulation inside, she can stay a bit of the cooler side when the temps drop below 30 degrees. The cab doesn't want to get as warm as a modern car, so putting something up front to block airflow over the radiator helps to get a bit more heat in the cab. I also have some cheap seat heaters and they work great !!!!!!!!
Or you could do as I do, and park my trucks till spring.

ssdvc

Not parking her. Got those cheap Autozone seat heaters, my "winter front" and 300lbs of sand in the rear. I do Fluid Film on the entire underside of the truck before winter and hit it with Salt Away in the spring. No need (and kinda a waste) to park her for months.

I do want to do heated mirrors, so I am working on that. I also saw some windshield heater strips for big rigs that I may try to use on the sides and bottom of the windshield. When it snows here and is below 25F, things tend to sit in those places and the wipers don't like it.

vanaisa

Well, winter is not far again. As i use my 1009 in very narrow trails in forest, i have always lots of snow falling to windshield and hood. So much, that wipers stop working.
Linkage is greased, all moves freely and pretty fast even with dry and hot windshield, so i assume that everything is OK and wipers just are not designed to operate if too much resistance from snow?
Is there available stronger motor for CUCV wipers?

cucvrus

I would double check that wiper motor, the switch and the ground. I have plowed 40 inches of snow with a CUCV and few times I had issues with wipers. Something is wrong if you have issues. I have owned many vehicles and hey all have about the same power at the wiper motor.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When heavy wet snow falls onto windshield from a tree or whatever you are going to have to remove it manually. Wipers are not designed to remove a large accumulation of compacted snow at once.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks