• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 with 15k miles won't start

3dubs

Well the high is 97 degrees so who cares about the high humidity. I have a fresh sun burn. So it is a great day to go back to work on my M1009 in a field with no shade. But wallew's buddy is going with me to help get this beast started. It is now the Green Beast. The best part is my wife being mad at me again. But I have many things to look at and will post on here what problems I find.

3dubs

It seems the IP is not working. The red wire is hot. But I was told the IP can go bad sitting too long. But lostened the injectors and canked it but no fuel. There is fuel at the fuel filter. So does that mean to rebuild the IP?

airmech3839

You could find a take off used pump that has been tested for $50-100 but a rebuilt will be $499 and up!! it takes (from what I here, never done it yet) about 4-5 hours to change cause of all the stuff you have to do to get to it and working on not dropping parts in block!! But like I said I have researched it just never done it. I am not sure that is your problem but it is advice if it is!

2cents

3dubs

I quoted $525-$550 to rebuild the IP with a one day turn around. The cheapest I found online for a rebuilt was $599. A take off that works may go out anytime. money is tight but on the side of the road with my kids is worse. The control card is brand new. The black box does not close and there is no dust on the card.

c3bosco

3dubs-
You mentioned that you were looking for someone near Magnolia, TX to help...I live in Magnolia and noticed my dog was missing when I got home from work last night. I did the rounds last night for 3 hours before finding her, but while driving around (in my m1009) i noticed someone down the street had a couple of m1009s hanging out in their yard...just wondering if this was you (a little off of Walnut Springs (or Walnut Creek, I don't remember)), if so we live a stone throw apart and I'd be happy to come help.

3dubs

I was leaving my dad's place last week and thought I saw a M1009 going the other way on Terri I guess that was you. Yeah they are off Walnut Springs so you must have seen them. I will be trying to work on it this week. I actually live near Sugar Land but I am not allowed to work on cars here so they are at my dad's. But I really need to get it running because I just got my SF-97.

m38inmaine

A rebuilt IP can be had on ebay for a little over $300, just look for one with good feedback, I have had good luck with these pumps.

3dubs

I found that it is a DB2 but a DB2 what? Will any DB2 fit? I found several on ebay but I am not sure which pumps will work.

Crash_AF

Did you try jumping 12V directly to the pump? You should have 12V at the pink wire. Also, the shut off solenoid might be stuck. You can take the solenoid off the top of the pump and check it out, it's just four bolts. Just watch how it comes apart and put it back together the same way.

Also, the shut off solenoid area should be full of fuel when you take the cover off.

Later,
Joe

3dubs

Yes there is 12v at the pink wire. I hear a click when I take pink wire on and off. I was just about to find out how many volts should be at the cold start advance wire. When I get done I will know more about injection pumps than I ever wanted to know. For now I do not know enough. I may take the selenoid off just to be sure. I was told there is a plastic piece that can break. I hope to take another look at it this evening. Tomorrow I should have time to work on it again. So any advice of what to chech is always welcome.

rickf

The only thing on these trucks that is 24 volt is the starter and the military radios. Everything else is 12 volts including both alternators and all lighting.

Rick

3dubs

Hey c3bosco I will be working on my truck tonight. I went and picked up two refurbished batteries just to make sure that is not a problem. I have a check list for the injection pump. I will post it either late tonight or tomorrow on a new thread. It is great. I will take some pics to help too.

3dubs

The engine needs 150-200 cranking rpm's for the IP to work. I pulled the original batteries then changed the glow plugs. The refurb batteries I picked up fit the battery trays. I cranked it and IT STARTED! But it did not stay running. It ran for a minute or so then when I pushed the peddle down but the engine did not speed up. Then it stopped. When started again it did not run as long. It seems as it warms up it stops running. Is that the IP?

c3bosco

Now that your truck actually cranks with your new batteries, you might want to try bleeding your injector lines.

Last edited:

rickf

I agree that it sounds like air in the lines although these are pretty much self bleeding unless there is air before the pump. Make sure ALL of the return lines from the injectors and the one from the pump are hooked up and clear. If the return line from the pump is blocked or severely restricted it will give you that symptom. Does it start on all eight cylinders? If so then your glow plug system is working all right. The glow plugs will cycle several times right after start to keep them hot but where you are it should stay running once it is started. If it starts, revs a second and dies that is usually a sign of air in the filter or a crack in the line before the lift pump on the side of the engine. I have seen a lot of cracked lines between the tank and pump.

Rick

3dubs

Yeah, I going to change the fuel filter because it does not cost much. Then replace the fuel return line with a clear tube to look for bubbles. Then just bleed the lines. If none of that works I will replace the fuel pump because it only costs about fifty bucks. That should keep me busy all weekend. If all that does not work I will pull the IP off and either rebuild it or get a rebuilt IP.

Oh, when it was running I put is in drive it moved like an old turtle with heart problems. I have one idea but I would like some other input about what to check before I swap it out or rebuild it.

But it starts so I feel a little better.

Crash_AF

Yea, the lift pump on the side of the block is REAL fun... doubly so when there's a Banks kit on it like my Burby...

Definitely sounds like it's starving for fuel.

Later,
Joe

3dubs

Well I got the fuel filter for $10, the fuel pump for $20. I will just change them out and bleed any air out. If that does not work then I will shell out for the IP.

It starts so there is compression, that only leaves fuel. The funny thing was that two injectors were out when I tried to start the engine and it started. But even with the injectors back in it would not stay running.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks