• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 with 2.5-4 inch lift???

dduncan

Hey guys, I have had my very first MV for about 3 months now and love it. I was wondering, if anyone does a 2.5 to 4 inch lift, does it still create driveline vibration?? I also don't want to screw up my fuel mileage by putting bigger tires on. Just wondering if anyone has done a 2.5 to 4 incher with stock size tires?? Pics and any info would be sweet. Thanks

m1028#13

I don't have an M1009, but i can tell you that lifting yours and keeping stock size tires will not look too good (at least in my opinion). I would recommend a lift of the size your are referring to with a set of 33" tires.

Also, I'm sure some of the other folks on here can give you more accurate info on fuel mileage, but i wouldn't think it would hurt you much if at all. In fact i have heard of some folks getting a little better mileage with the slightly larger tires. The only drawback is the 3.08:1 gear ratio in your axles. It can make the larger tires a little harder on your transmission, especially when hauling or towing with it.

As far as driveline vibrations, most of the chevys of this era I have seen do fine with properly engineered lift kits. Just make sure the job is done right and you shouldn't have any real issues.

Last edited:

dduncan

Well, it just seems like with the u joints at that kind of angle would have a tendency to go bad pretty quickly. Wouldn't they? Do you guys daily drive yours?

us74k5

I have 4 inch springs in the front, 3 inch springs in the rear (to keep it level). I run 33"s with the 3.08's and I drive it every day. Didnt to anything to my fuel mileage. Lowered the RPM's a little on the highway. However as soon as i get back from afghanistan, i am swapping in a 14 bolt with 3.42 gears, and swapping gears in the front to match, as well as going to a 35 inch tire. I swapped the stock tires back onto it before I left for afghanistan, since it was going to be sitting for a while, and it looks really gay. So i don't suggest that. I did not notice any real power loss going from the 31's to 33's. Its very slight. And I did not have any vibration issues either.

m1028#13

dduncan, if you are concerned about driveline issues, do some research on the matter, your drivetrain is exactly the same as a normal k5 from that era (except of course those few differences which don't even really matter in this situation). They even made a few (not to common) 6.2l diesel civvy k5's. Look around on forums like Colorado k5. I think you'll find the folks over there have about the same experiences with the lift types/heights you'll be looking at. [thumbzup][thumbzup]

dduncan

Okay, thanks guys!! Has anyone ever heard of using blocks in the front too for a small lift? I was thinking it would be a better ride because the curve of aftermarkets create a stiff ride. Just an idea I had...

us74k5

Absolutely NOT. Do not use blocks in the front of your vehicle. I am fairly certain it is illegal. As well as highly unsafe. It has a lot to do with the way your vehicle brakes. You can google it to get a complete explanation. Just dont use blocks in the front. If you get some tuff country front springs, your ride will be much better than stock.

dduncan

huh, well thanks for the advice. I had not thought about that! I was just thinking of a cheap way to to lift it considering a pro-comp 2.5 inch with shocks is around 500 bucks!

dduncan

Another thought!! haha... I have some leaves from the rear of another truck, they are bent slightly the opposite direction that the front leaves on the m1009 are. could I take out say the bottom leaf and replace it with the leaf from another truck for a small lift? I heard that maybe it may cause the factory ones to break considering they bend down versus level or slightly upward. Just another idea! Sorry if I'm driving you guys nuts, I just am trying to do this on a budget. Thanks for all your help!!

OL AG '89

Added a 4" lift to mine couple of weeks ago

Put the 4" lift on mine and then added 33x12.50x15 Toyo MT's on some black rock crusher rims.... It looks like it should of started life that way!!
I drive it on a regular basis, when my teenage sons aren't driving it!! LOL
I haven;t checked the rpm's on the Highway, but sounds a little more relaxed at 60mph, that's my limit as I don't want to over rev a motor that rarely saw that, unless it headed between Austin and Ft. Hood, TX. Speed limit on Ft. Hood was 45??? if I remember, never got a ticket over there in any MV I was driving... so don't have a set memory....... HA!

I'm not bulding a MONSTER MUDDER....... so the limited power is not that important at this point.....
My Avatar is a 74 CIVVY model, but the MV looks about the same.... I'm gonna get some pictures of the MV, one these days.....

If you go with an inexpensive lift kit, you will replacing parts sooner than you want. I suggest a good quality kit, done right..... In the long run, you undoubtably save money and time...

chuck0070

I have a 2 in lift in my m1009 and a little fender trim and 33 on 15x10 wheels no change in fuel mpg but looks a lot better

What brand lift do you have? Looks great. I looked at Tuff Country 2 inch lifts on line but they only list the for 1/2 tons trucks, I didnt see a 3/4 ton Blazer 2inch lift kit.

Last edited:

Iceman3005

for the best ride skyacker is the best, but will cost a lot more than any other lift kit. Never use blocks up front (unless there zero rates like burbn10 said) when going around curves the blocks can topple over in either direction causing the u-bolts to break and separate the axle from the vehicle, this is caused from the lateral forces on the vehicle when going around curves. I had an 8 inch lift on my 1/2 ton 79 short bed chevy with no driveline vibrations, it was a skyjacker suspension, the ride was actually quit comfortable considering how tall the lift was.