• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 wont crank when outside temp is hot and motor is cool from sitting all day

CUCVmike

My M1009 the last few days when the temp. has been 89 and 91 degrees wont start after sitting in the sun all day while I'm at work. The motor won't crank at all and the engine is cold (90 degrees) from sitting all day, I don't think its a starter, ignition switch, or ignition lock cylinder as I replaced them a year ago and only have 2,000 miles usage since. I still had occasional issues after replacing them so I zip tied the wires tight on the ignition switch and made it all last summer with no more issues. If I have a bad wire would just the air temperature cause the ignition switch to not function? Not sure where to proceed in solving the problem, appreciate any advice or be glad to give any additional information I forgot to mention.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please clarify.

It will not crank - engine does not turn at all

or

It will not start - engine cranks but will not fire. If it does crank, what is the speed? fast or slugish?

Just because a part is new does not mean that it isn't bad. Only way to know if a starter is good is to remove it and have it tested. Sadly bad parts from the factory seems to be the new norm.

CUCVmike

This morning or late afternoon after the outside temp is cooled off, starts with no issues. It strictly is a hot and sunny temperature issue.

Barrman

Does anything happen when you try? Such as the idiot lights changing, noises or clicking?

Also, turn on the headlights and try. If they don't dim, the problem is probably before the starter. If they dim, then it is probably starter related.

Of course, have you checked your batteries?

CUCVmike

Yes, brand new batteries, been doing great the last month since rebuilding motor, then hot two days and nothing, outside temp cools off and its works again. Lights don't fliker.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks