• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 won't start...did a search but no luck

Mike_Pop

I'm sure this has been discussed plenty of times but the search engine hasn't brought up anything and going through all the posts is time consuming. Here's the scenario:

After being away from home for two months, I went out to start the M1009. It turned over but the batteries were low and I couldn't get it started. After that, no cranking power at all. I charged the batteries and they both have a little over 12 volts. Now I don't get anything, no cranking at all but when I turn the key, my gen2 light remains on when the gen1 and oil light go out after the glow plug light goes out.

I'm really perplexed. I've got over 24 volts to the starter, the relay is not that old, the glow plugs cycle, yet I get nothing when I go to crank it. Yet, it cranked ok yesterday morning until it drained the batteries. I've even tried jumping it with my slave cable off my Mite but no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I need to leave in a couple days for New Jersey.

Feel free to call: 775-237-5260

Thanks!

rickf

RE: M1009 won

Mike, I can tell you that you need two fully charged and good condition batteries. If even one is a little off you will not get enough to start.
Rick

Michael

I think I would look at the relay under the dash even if it is new if you get no response when you turn the key to crank. I would put a volt meter on it and see if the red wire has 24v all of the time, the purple wire should have 24v with the key at crank and the small ppl/wht should have 12v with the key at crank. The black wire should be grounded.

Mike_Pop

Cleaned all the battery connections and checked voltage on the starter relay:
Red: 36 volts
Purple: 36 volts (when key is in crank position)
Purple/White: 18 volts (when key is in crank position)
Ground wire is good.

When I turn the ignition key to crank, a little click comes from the relay.

I also checked the rod to the ignition and is that supposed to rotate when you turn the key?

Still confused.

Michael

I would probably check the connections on the 24v buss behind the back battery next, but they are probably OK. Next I would crawl under the truck and check the connections there. If you have 24 volts at the bat terminal and get 24 volts at the other end of the purple wire with the key at crank then you need to pull the starter and have it checked.

As an aside, I don't understand why your voltages are so high.

Mike_Pop

High voltage could mean a bad regulator on the alternator. I'll have to check that out.

Having the starter checked is not an option when the nearest shop that can do it is 120 miles away. Anyone have a 24v starter for sale?

Mike_Pop

I'm reading 29-31 volts at the bus bar. The batteries were charged on a trickle overnight, each separately.

My concern is not so much for the high voltage but to get the engine to crank. I can deal with the high voltage later.

mangus580

Ok... 2 things

1. You show a major voltage drop across the relay 'when cranking'. This tells me the relay is not up to snuff. Replace it.

2. If that doesnt work... it sounds to me like a blown starter. Best bet I have for that is ODiron.com

Mike_Pop

I'm still trying to find the correct part number for the starter relay. The search pages are not working. The AutoZone part #AC40 is incorrect. It has five pins instead of four.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I believe JohnFire is correct, I have seen this mentioned here before.

The parts cross reference has this info. Starter Relay GM P/N 15591718, $28/ napa AR135/ carquest RY117 / autozone AC40

Mike_Pop

Got the problem solved. I replaced the starter and it started right up but on a second try, it wouldn't start. I pulled the relay and jumped the wires and it fired right up. Looks like the relay was bad but I also had burnt contacts on the female side where the relay plugs in. I pulled the plug and put wire connectors on with a new relay. It's working perfectly now.

Michael

There has been a lot of talk in the past that the current production fan relays aren't up to the job of being a starter relay. I would have to give serious thought to replacing one with something better like the relay we are using for the glow plugs or a real starter relay if I was going to have to buy a new one. You would have to do away with the current plug and be careful with your wiring but once you did it you wouldn't have to worry about it sticking in the on position and burning up your starter.

Mike_Pop

Replacing it with the glow plug relay is the way to go from what I've heard. It can handle the amperage much better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks