• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 won't start, just clicks

ramcatdoc

Went to start the CUCV tonight. Glow plug light came and and turned off as usual. Turned key and had rapid-fire loud clicking. CB radio, which is connected directly to the battery and was off, flashed on and off in same frequency as clicking.

Engine did not turn.

Headlights work. Dash lights work.

Any ideas? Should I be checking batteries? Starter motor? ...?

cpf240

Mine did that when the front battery went bad. It would take a charge, but would fail under a load test. I'd suggest giving them a full charge, then have them load tested. For a quick work around, I swapped the batteries around and that gave me enough to get it started. I would not advise running it for long like that if one of the batteries is in fact bad.

SRB1976

My M1009 did that the other day when I drove it to the store. Started right up in my driveway at home but when I came out from the store, turned the key and click. So I walked home, (was only about a mile away) grabbed some tools and got in my other truck and drove back to the store. Turns out the starter was stuck (probably the solenoid) so a few good whacks with the hammer and she roared to life:jumpin: and it's been fine since. Probably time for a new starter.

ramcatdoc

Tried jumping the front battery tonight, same problem. I have successfully jumped the truck before. I notice white battery residue in the battery tray for the rear battery. This is new. I'll give the starter a whack (a firm but loving one). Will get the batteries checked, too, as I suspect at least the rear one is bad.

I think I read a post somewhere that one of the batteries gets "lazy," as they put it. These batteries were both fairly old when I bought the truck a year ago.

Thanks for all y'all's help.

Last edited:

AmericanHaole

This just happened to me last week. Both batteries had over 12.4 V, but I replaced both batteries (they were original military batteries) and it came to life.

The hardest part is building a mount for the new smaller batteries. Just warning you in advance. :doh:

Good luck.

edpdx

The group 31 batteries go in; but you have to switch to new flat lugs. The upside is that they are fat on and off if you use a coupling nut instead of a bolt. I try to post a pic tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks