• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 won't start need help !!

kcbbqguru

I went out and changed the batteries and all the fuses. Found out it most likely the starter solenoid. Because it cranked a little bit and died again. then hit the stater with a hammer we'll someone turned the key it sprang to life. Haven't shut it off at all so far made couple of trips to nyc. And charging out put was fine. The first thing im going to do when i have the time is complete change over to 24volts. Thanks guys for the help
Last time I hit the starter, mine started right up, this time no luck, I think I'm going to have to drop the starter and have it checked

Skinny

First, good for you going to help people out in a bad area. Even better using a CUCV!

Second, I don't think it was intended that you convert your truck back to 24v while in a flood zone. I think the intention was no one on here can help you troubleshoot because your system is no longer stock. I agree that the 24v is far superior in every aspect including troubleshooting with help from SS.

Third, the best thing you can do in situations like this regardless of the system is read. You can pretty much make anything work with some jumper wires and a good battery. Most important...knowledge. I highly suggest that when you get settled in from your trip, get very close to your truck. Go through the diagrams and understand how every thing works. It pays dividends in situations like this!

irishvin

Thank you all this my last trip down to today with blankets and some warm food and maybe bring a couple more up north.. then got to fix her up right tomorrow. Thank you all for your help. Glad I got this cucv its a true work horse. Again thank you everyone.

Skinny

Kudos for helping people out in need. Maybe FEMA could use a couple of CUCV trucks...

Are people in your area back to having power and fuel? I used to live in Orange County. That area always turned into a cluster during any kind of disasters.

edpdx

New batteries and still occasional start problem you described... Check the starter and confirm that it was changed to a 12volt. Then check the space in the flexplate-to-starting gear. I am convinced that many of us are driving around with starters that have been milled down during refurbishing and have been installed without adequate shims.

There are lots of starters that have been remaned this way that still have the factory stamping: Do Not Shim. This only adds to the confusion when buying /installing a replacent starter.

To confirm this as your problem: carry a socket wrench with a 14mm (15mm?) with you. The next time you hear the click instead of the starter spin up, crawl under and loosen the two starter bolts two or three turns. If it is the shimming, you'll hear the starter gear snap free. Tighten up the bolts and start her up. Then get a shim in it. Parts stores have them in HELP packs. Good luck,and I hope your friends make out ok.