• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 wont start

galeo7171

I recently replaced the IP, injectors, and did the spin on fuel filter mod. Over the last month I've had a heck of a time getting it to run/stay running.

First off, After I installed everything and bled the lines out, the truck fired right up then died after about 5 minutes. I looked over everything and realized that I forgot to hook up the fuel return line to the IP (which I assumed got air in the lines and caused the truck to die).

Next, I hooked the return line back up and tried bleeding out the fuel lines again....well this burned up the starter. I got a new starter and installed it. I started up the truck and it at first was running rough, then it cleared up and was running nice!!! Success...or so I thought. I noticed a lot of fuel leaking on to the ground. I left truck running to trace down the leak, but it died after about 3 minutes. I discovered that one of the fuel return nozzles on one of my new injectors had fallen off
(***** REMOVED *****)
So, I replaced the broken injector with a new one. I bled out the lines, again! Now the truck won't start at all. I bled the lines out by loosening up the injector lines and turning over the truck until I saw fuel coming out. I'm going to guess that maybe I have a problem with the glow plugs (which were all new prior to installing the injection pump, and the glow plug controller is new also). When I turn the Key, the wait light comes on and the relay cycles. But, when I try starting the truck, wouldn't there be some puffs of smoke coming out the exhaust if the truck is getting fuel? I know my problem is either fuel or fire...I'm going to test the glow plugs, but I'm curious if the lack of smoke out the exhaust would indicate it not getting fuel?

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Edited you post to remove the offensive language. The f-bomb gets you in trouble everytime, even of it is abbreviated.

scottladdy

Troubleshooting Using the TM's

I believe there is a section of the troubleshooting procedures that deals with your symptoms.

From the -20 Technical Manual TM9-2320-289-20.pdf

"USING YOUR MANUAL: AN EXAMPLE
The operator of a CUCV truck complains that the truck engine cranks but will not start. The truck has been assigned to you for repair. To correct the problem you will need to follow these steps:
Turn to the cover of your manual. On the right margin, find the listing for Troubleshooting and turn to the page listing given. When you reach the troubleshooting section, locate the paragraph entitled Troubleshooting Symptom Index (paragraph 2-11).
Both mechanical and electrical troubleshooting symptoms are listed in the Troubleshooting Symptom Index and are organized according to equipment category.

Read through the index until you find a symptom listing which most closely matches the problem. The symptom “Cranks But Will Not Start” is found under the “ENGINE” category of mechanical troubleshooting. Turn to the page for the troubleshooting procedure that will help solve your problem."

I hope this helps.

galeo7171

Also, I checked the pink wire on the ip and it clicks like its supposed to. I also installed an electric fuel pump when I replaced the ip. I tried again this morning and the truck is turning over real slow like the batteries are dying. I tested them and they both read 12.5 with the truck turned off. I'm going to have them load tested and see what they are putting out. I guess it's possible that I fried another cheaply made starter from dbelectrical? I just can't figure out why I might not be getting fuel after replacing everything and bleeding everything. I also tested all the glow plugs with an ohm meter and they are all reading around 1-2 ohms. I'm still not seeing any smoke out the tailpipe when I try starting it. Maybe I didn't bleed all the lines good enough? I haven't been able to look at the manuals because I'm away from my computer until next week (been posting from my cell phone).