• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 won't start

mightybaldone

My 86 M1009 has died twice on me now. Turn the key, glow plugs warm up, turn to start, starter relay clicks, but no starter.

Batteries are good, tested at auto shop, 900 CCA each,

Voltage at the starter when key in start. Still 24 volt starter.

Engine ground cleaned, even ran jumper from front neg post to starter case.

Installed new starter and truck started.

Month later same thing. Pulled starter, tested fine, reinstalled and truck started.

Ohmed purple wire from starter to starter relay and wire is good.

Ideas please. Been stranded twice now,

dependable

Check wire by starter heat shield for worn insulation. Arcing can cause this and premature solenoid failure. Look at top of forum at Doghead starter relay sticky, if has not been done, do that.

If you have one of the cheep import starters, you might want to carry an extra one (and tools) or at least a replacement solenoid.

mightybaldone

Doghead mod had already been done. Wire is in good shape. Both the original starter and the new starter still work. After I replaced the starter the truck would start. Pulled a M151 about 278 miles and it would start for about 3 weeks no problem. Then no start. Pull the starter and put it right back in and truck starts. Flywheel teeth show no signs of damage.

AECS

Do you have the right braket on the starter? Shims needed? It sounds like the starter if twisting a bit and jamming up. When you remove it and re-install, it is aligning back up for a little bit.

irishvin

Do you have the right braket on the starter? Shims needed? It sounds like the starter if twisting a bit and jamming up. When you remove it and re-install, it is aligning back up for a little bit.
Exactly what happened with mine power every were but nothing check the starter for the bracket give it 90% Thats the problem

mightybaldone

My starter has the heat shield and starter bracket missing. Anyone have an idea where I might find them. I guess I'll carry around a rubber hammer if I get broke down again. Thanks for the responses.

sierrajcharlie

Try turning the motor over by hand with a bar and a 15/16" socket. Mine will do the same thing once in awhile but I've got the bracket in place. I don't know why it does it, only that it does it at the worst possible time. Maybe that will get you going for now.

mightybaldone

Yes the solenoid clicks to. Have a bracket ordered and see what happens but will carry a bar and socket and a hammer with me till I know it's fixed. Thank goodness for the free towing on the insurance. Thanks all for your help.

tgtaylor64

Same exact thing with a friends M1008. Test the lead on the starter relay under the dash (i.e., the Doghead mod). Mine was clicking but for whatever reason, not sending the 24V to the relay on the starter. The red wire will have 24V all the time (be careful)! The other fat wire (purple) will only have 24V when the key is in the start position. If not, replace the Doghead relay with a new one and fire that puppy off!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks