• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Won't Start

Pballer71

Hey my m1009 just started to act up. Every since about week ago I would have these hard starts in the morning cycled it a couple of times and it was fine. Then this morning same thing it was having a hard time starting but when i cycled it and turned the key back on the wait light and water in fuel light never came on. I thought no big deal but tried again wouldn't start. So gave it a few hours came back tried to start it same thing the wait light and water in fuel light don't come on. My dad thinks its something to do with fuel since the engine will turnover but it won't start? I don't hear the glowpulgs click on and it sounds like a slow crank. Thank you for any help

Forgot to check fuses went out to check them and switched out a bad fuse runs fine now. please delete this thread thank you

Last edited:

epartsman

It can be one of many things. Looking at the fuel issue I would loosen one of the lines at an injector and turn it over. Diesel should be pouring out of that line. If it is dry you need to chase down either a bad lift pump, or a malfunctioning IP. There are many steps to diagnosing a Glow Plug issue that can be found in the CUCV Wiki TM's. One thing I would do as far as the GP system is concerned would be to eliminate the 24-12V resistor on the firewall and power the GP relay direct from the 12V bus right next to it. That makes sure a bad GP in the system does not cause a cascade failure of the rest. Read the TM's first then do the mod I just descibed which is listed in the CUCV threads in detail. If you have not done the Dog Head Mod that is also a must and listed in the Sticky's. There is no magic wand answer. Good luck, there is a wealth of knowledge and folks willing to help but you need to do some research and diagnosis first then present us with specifics.

erniemigi

If you still have the old style box fuel filter then i would suggest in upgrading it to the screw on type retro kit, the older one's have a problem where the sensor area would crack and allow air to get into your lines which can make it difficult to start and cause you to wear down your batterys, also do what epartsman said about checking the fuel at the injector lines, now if your not sure if your glow plugs are coming on or not you can take a plug out and reconnect it to the wire and hold the threaded part onto a good ground area and have somebody turn the key on (if you still have a working control card and haven't done a manual switch to see if it glows red) good luck with your problem and hope it works out for you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks