• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101, a1, a2, a3

Chief_919

Cool, I'll see if that's the way I want to go. The more load bearing axle would be an a3 correct? I would want a m101a3? Thanks.

Nick

I think the upgrade to the load carrying ability is heavier springs, not axle, but the A2 will carry more than you want to pull with the gearing on the 1009.

An A2 would probably be better for you. The axle width will more closely match the 1009, and it should have 1008 size wheels and tires, the A3 should have larger HMMWV tires, they make it sit too high for a 1008 and add about 300 pounds.

Oldfart

I think the upgrade to the load carrying ability is heavier springs, not axle, but the A2 will carry more than you want to pull with the gearing on the 1009.

An A2 would probably be better for you. The axle width will more closely match the 1009, and it should have 1008 size wheels and tires, the A3 should have larger HMMWV tires, they make it sit too high for a 1008 and add about 300 pounds.
All good advice in MHO. My old M101 is rated at 3/4 ton cross country, one ton highway. I have hauled slightly more than a ton many times and there was no real difference in ride between that and a 3/4 ton load. Once I hauled 3 tons of gravel a short distance from the pit to my home. The springs still had some travel, but there was real sag. These trailers will haul far more than their ratings. I don't recommend overloads, but it is clear that there is some over design with military trailers. My trailer does not have the surge brakes and it will push my 7000 lbs M37 on braking when loaded. Surge brakes and matching tires and rims are a good thing.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased an axle with tires/wheels from a surplus dealer years ago and converted my M101a1 to and A2 style axle , later I added the surge brake to make it a complete A2. The A2 axle with springs is a direct replacement for the A1 axle and springs. The A1 springs have more leafs than the A2 springs.
I have a late style A3 now, it has one piece fenders which makes more room in the bed, the earlier A3's were conversions from A2 to A3 by changing axle, adding fender extensions , and adding a crank-up leg instead of the fold-up leg.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks