• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 A2 surge brake questions

12vman

Ok first of all I have spent about an hour looking at info and threads on this site for an answer to my question but havent found it

So I ask here.......

I have two M101A2 in great shape and Sat Im going to check the surge brake systems.

what are the steps to check proper function/status of the surge brake system?

On one A2 the master cylinder is just capped and on the other it has a vent tube and hose coming out. Why is that??

Isnt it a closed system???

If there is an issue w/ the surge brakes i can just temporarily disable the brakes by putting a pin thru the actuator holes right????

It looks like there is a coil and shock absorber inside...how would I know if either of those go bad?

thanks!!!!

blybrook

The answers you seek are in several different threads; but I'll try to answer all of them as quickly as possible. A full search would reference you to the threads I'm paraphrasing right now.

Testing the system is as easy as loading the trailer and going down a hill while lightly applying the vehicle brakes. You should be able to see / feel the trailer brakes activate. This is preferably done on a dirt road. There are a few other methods to test as well (I've only mentioned the one I utilized).

Sounds like you have both style of caps, one is a mushroom type vent, the other is the tube type. Both are adequate and will work fine; the tube style is better at keeping water out of the master. Pictures are needed to verify, but both caps should be vented.

It is a closed system AFTER the master cylinder. The master needs to be vented to operate properly, otherwise, you can develop a vacuum inside.

Yes, you can pin out the brakes with a 3/8" diameter pin or bolt through the hole in the side of the actuator assembly. Check to see if the holes line up properly before blindly inserting the bolt / pin. You may need to pull the lunette forward to get things aligned.

If the trailer shakes violently or surges while pulling down the road, it is most likely the shock absorber causing the problem. You can also remove the shock to test it, if it compresses easily; it needs to be replaced. Croft trailer sells a replacement and is *currently* the only place I know of to get this part.

HTH; it is mainly a summary of other threads. More information can be found in the individual threads; including pictures.

wilfreeman

Theres a thread about a '64 CJ5 master cylinder being a direct replacement and I think a Monroe (?) shock being a direct replacement. I'd try to find the post, but this phone isn't easy to use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks