• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101-A2 Tailgate Mods

boundstaffpress

I use my M101 as a dump trailer, and wanted to more easily move the tailgate out of the way before dumping a load of dirt. I considered cutting the tailgate in half, to make two swing-away halves like a traditional dump trailer. But I also wanted maintain the integrity and function of the original tailgate. I decided to ad hinges to the driver side of the gate and swing the whole tailgate to the side. I used hardware store gate hinges, and some modified square tubing. Now the tailgate can be lowered as before, or swung to the side and latched for dumping. Let me know what you think, unless of course you just want to whine about the dump feature.[
ATTACH]569910[/ATTACH]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436785209.805090.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436785220.762365.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436785234.549660.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436785248.497367.jpg

Attachments

MDSA

Good job. Looks like a very easy mod. My sons used to deliver firewood with a 101 and would dump it for the customer. I never did so I don't know if the tailgate ever got in the way. But your mod definitely solves a potential problem.

86m1028

Looks like a great (useful) mod.
Ill have to try that on one of mine.

Dump feature: The way I look at is its YOUR trailer, do what you like with it :)

Thanks for posting this.

Ratch

Nice work, it looks factory. Do those little strap hinges have much margin for weight? They look like they'll eventually sag, making it difficult to line up the horizontal pins.
I also wonder about having a load in it putting pressure against the tailgate. Does it make it difficult to pull the horizontal pins? I was going to remove pins from mine and just ride around on 2 pins to make it quicker to remove when I want to dump a load of gravel, but with the fluid nature of gravel and density of the load, I figured I'd end up bowing the tailgate.

boundstaffpress

You are right that the strap hinges are the weakest link. They are made from thick enough metal though. The current plan is to weld closed the bolt hole in the straps, then run a bead across the top where the strap folds back on itself. That should provide some improvement
I was already only using two horizontal pins on the outside bottom hinge location. I am using smaller 3/8 diameter pins to make it easier to slide through without modifying the trailer itself. The tailgate is stronger than any gate I've had on pickups I've driven. It may eventually bow, but I had it twice loaded with gravel till I rode on both overload bumpers, and the tailgate didn't bow at all. The pins pulled fine with a little weight pushing back on the tailgate.