• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 A3 axle/wheel question

Lysdexic

I recently bought one of these to use as an off road camping trailer. It has 37 x 16.5 8-lug run-flat Hummer wheels on it. I intend to pull it with my 2002 Jeep WJ, which runs 33x12.50 R17 off road tires.

Ideally I would like to be able to run the same wheel/tire combo on the trailer and minimize the number of spares I have to carry - is there an axle swap that will accomplish this, or perhaps even a wheel adapter to go from 8 lug 6.5" to 5 lug 5"?

I apologize if this is a dumb or repetitive question, I've looked on the site and haven't found the answer I'm looking for.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be easiest to do the axle swap and incorporate electric brakes. The A3 axle with the addition of an adapter would be quite wide. Going to electric brakes would pare off quite a bit of weight at the same time. Your A3 axle, surge brake assy and rolling stock all have some retail value. Does your trailer have the wder fender A3 box or the standard A2 box?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh well, network admin has that site, youtube, photobucket and the like blocked out. I'm sure its nice. Can anyone attach a pic?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. That is the ideal trailer format. I would do the axle swap, I think you would be happier in the long run and the weight savings may be more than you would think. That A3 axle is very wide. I'm planning to section 2" out of each end of my A3 axle so that I can go to a standard offset rim.

DESERT RATS

M101a2 axle

What axle do you have DESERT RATS?
I have an axle off my M101A2 trailer. The trailer was bought new from a defense contractor 3 years ago. The axle is only 3 years old too. Not many miles on this axle. It comes with brake drums, hubs with gears and seal. No brake assembly. Also, I'll throw in the parking brake cables.

I changed the axle out to a M101A3 axle so I can run Hummer Wheels.

Make me an offer. I live in the High Desert.