• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Aluminum or galvanized?

isaiah

Just won 2 trailers from GL HI today I like these as compared to the last one I bought they seem to be Aluminum or some rust free type beds. I never got a chance to preview these even though they are only 30 min from where I live. Can someone clarify these types for me. I especially like the inside dimensions of the wheel well and the Humvee tires, They also pull level to my M1.Appreciate your comments.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M101A2 has the 8 lug axle and uses CUCV rolling stock. M101A3 uses a drop type axle and the HMMWV wheels. There is a rust proofing used on the trailer bodies that has a galvanized type look from a distance but the body is steel for sure.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok I don't know for sure about the M101, but my M105 body is definetly galvanized. Unfortunatly they used the wrong paint on it though, so some of the paint has pealed. It is a later year A3 though.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isaiah, when you get a chance could you post some photos of the markings on the front/sides/back of your trailers? I can make out some, but not all, and pictures of Marine trailers are few and far between.
Thanks, and cheers,

gunhog11

isaiah said:
Get it to you as soon as the EUC gets done...I applied and got one for a recent purchase,should be shorter now, I hope.
Looking at your location remionds me of that thread in, I believe, the Conversations section of SS where someone was asking why GL surpluses out in HI or Puerto Rico...and who buys from there?

Guess this thread answers that question!

On a serious note, I did note that HI tends to have some interesting stuff out for auction there. Simply due to the location, are there a good number of bids/bidders that you notice, ie- lots of competition? Or are prices better because of fewer bidders? Good thing is, you won't have to ship to the CONUS.....barring a move, etc.

Thanks for the info.

isaiah

There are alot of items and if they are good I notice many bidders however the salt air out here makes the MV rust. I'm the hobbyist, junk collector and too much time on the hands type of bidder.

isaiah

K bay trailer

This trailer was definitely a galvanized box with a surface rusted frame but still solid.
It was probably parked near the kaneohe marine base lots of salt spray.
I towed a full skip of 8x8x16 CMU blocks no prob. weighing 3000#+ 8 mi

Can anyone help me with the use and what to put in the brake area near the pintle? dot 5 brake fluid and what exactly does it do? also any thread containing rewiring the lights for hooking up for a civy truck 4 or six way plug using existing lights?

thank you!

jasonjc

RE: K bay trailer

I would assume DOT 5 silcone brake fuild. the thing on front is the sruge brake actuator. As the tow vehicle stop the trailer will push against it. the hard the trailer push on the truck the harder the brakes are appiled. Its like a brake pedel.

isaiah

M813rc said:
Isaiah, when you get a chance could you post some photos of the markings on the front/sides/back of your trailers? I can make out some, but not all, and pictures of Marine trailers are few and far between.
Thanks, and cheers,

on the front it said

C/C A 5/97
PRES 1/A 5/97
2330-01-372-564
CARC 3/96
Also on the sides USMC587858 & M13310

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks