• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Axle Lubricant

Brent13

Is there fluid inside of an M101 axle? I took off both axle hub caps last night just for a little look inside. All was very clean and found a little bit of grease in there. I want to know the proper way to lubricate the axle or hubs, and keep them in good repair.

Thanks,
Brent

CGarbee

The only lube in the axle should be the grease on the hub bearings. They are serviced the same as for a M37 (so you can borrow the TM from one of them if needed) as the M101 and M101A1 share the same hub assembles as the truck. You really shouldn't see any lube just by pulling the caps.

In short, you just repack the bearings with decent (or better) qaulity grease and renew the seals. Give the inside of the hub a swipe with grease to help prevent it from rusting (you just need a thin film). Zerks on the trailer for the suspension, lunette, drop leg(s), get a shot of GAA (I use surplus Mobile or Castrol EP currently in the gun).

Brent13

Okay, thank you for the information. What size is that first monster nut I am seeing? I don't have anything close that that size. Also, are the wheel lugnuts 1.5"? I am thinking about picking up the correct size combination wrench and cutting off the crows foot end so that I may slip a pipe over for a cheater bar. I have a 1/2" drive breaker bar, but afraid these lug nuts might be a bit too much. How are you all handling the lug nuts?

Brent

CGarbee

Use a one and a half inch (1 1/2") lug nut wrench on the lug nuts. A Budd wrench or socket is the preferred route. Budd sockets that I have use a 1" drive (air wrench or breaker bar). I've also been known to use my Craftsman box wrench on them, but you'll find a correct socket less expensive... :)

The socket that you need to remove/adjust the bearing nuts is a KD 2438, SNAP-ON ANS-1905, or a HUSKY 15003 (W-3).

TM-9-2330-202-14-P is the TECHNICAL MANUAL OPERATOR'S, UNIT, DIRECT SUPPORT, AND GENERAL SUPPORT MAINTENANCE MANUAL (INCLUDING REPAIR PARTS AND SPECIAL TOOLS LIST)
I haven't checked to see if it is online here, if not, a version is located at:
http://www.tpub.com/content/misc_manuals_2/TM-9-2330-202-14-P/index.htm

The direct link to the section on hub, brakedrum, and wheel bearing maintenance for the M101/A1 series is:
http://www.tpub.com/content/misc_manuals_2/TM-9-2330-202-14-P/TM-9-2330-202-14-P0186.htm

Good luck.

Wolf.Dose

The older issue is of August 1962 and realy thin (56 pages). The newer issue superceds the 1962 issue and is dated August 1983, about 1" thick and includes the hydraulic overrun brake also.
Those are the issues I know about.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks