• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 back landing legg

KsM715

I have seen some M101's with the rear leg. I have a M105 leg that I removed from a parted out trailer to use on my M101. Its not a simple bolt on swap. The rear cross member on a M105 is taller and the piece that bolts behind there has the little bar that the latch grabs onto to hold it up. That piece needs to be modified. The leg is to tall at its shortest length to fit between the trailer and the ground, it has to be cut down also. It has a rather large threaded insert that is used to shorten and extend the leg and both the tube and the screw part need to be cut down.

Edit: I plan on working on this a little this weekend and Ill get some pics of the different parts when I get to it.

ultim8gamr

So this is not common for the M101 to have the rear leg or was it an option when they were built?
I was under the impression that the M101's came with the rear leg already. The TM shows it and mentions it a few times. The rear legs were supposed to be put down to keep the trailer stable when it had a generator mounted on it.
I could be totally wrong with this, but that was the impression i was under.

deucebigalo

I was under the impression that the M101's came with the rear leg already. The TM shows it and mentions it a few times. The rear legs were supposed to be put down to keep the trailer stable when it had a generator mounted on it.
I could be totally wrong with this, but that was the impression i was under.
:ditto: I thought the same thing, I have purchased many of these trailers and everyone had the rear support leg

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
last year i brought back 2 101a2s both dont have a leg.. one never had it and the other has the scare where someone misplace it at hooks. the one that never had it dont even have the holes in the frame for one

blybrook

I just picked up two M101's that I won in 5114. One has the rear landing leg, the other doesn't. The serial numbers are only 2 digits off (all others match), so either it was never installed or removed at some point in it's life. I gotta get under there and get it working again, but it'll be nice to utilize from time to time.

After looking at the leg on the M105, I have to agree that it's gonna need some modifications to be utilized on the M101. The trailer heights are different causing the overall length of the M105 leg to be shortened. I don't know about the latch system yet.

KsM715

Ok I finally got to modifying the M105 leg I took off the trailer I parted out. I took it apart thinking I would have to cut the threaded part but turns out you dont have to. The threaded part is crimped into the extending part and wont come out. What I ended up doing was cutting the foot off, then cutting 7" off the inner part and 7" off the outer part. You could safely cut about 9 1/2" off with out getting into the threaded part but you dont need to. I should have cut only 2" or 3" out since the leg is about 25" high stock at its shortest and the M101 is about 24" from frame to ground. Cutting 7" out only leaves about 2" inches left with the leg now shortened and extended to the ground. I couldnt figure out how to make the latch part work with out alot of cutting to both the latch part and possibly the trailer frame and I just dont want to do this at this point. The plan is either use a strap to hold the leg up, (which is not all that easy to get to) or pull the long bolt and just put a pin in its place that can be pulled and the leg can be removed and just tossed in the trailer when moving.

Attachments

Corprin

As mentioned before, the M101a#'s designated in the unit for a generator trailer automatically got the rear landing leg. They were also installed on one or two trailers per platoon in my company. These trailers were designated and used for platoon TOC's, and/or transport/stowage of EPW's. They were handy when you used the trailer for your tent in the field, as you would't be dumped out when you moved towards the tail-gate.

I didn't like them much on the back of my truck in the field, because when I would be moving in the woods that rear leg seemed to get caught on everything.

From what I remember, the rear legs were an add-on part done at the unit level, or 3rd shop when the trailer was modified for a generator or light set.

Greggor K

I've picked up three M101's.
Two M101a2, one had a landing leg the other did not and looks like it never did.
One M101a3 had a rear landing leg.
Was at GL in Herlong CA. not long ago and a lot of the M101a3 trailers had rear legs, and almost new tires also.

ChrisABQ07

KsM715 -

If you've got your heart set on using the 105 landing leg, why not run a brace from the leg mount area to the support where you got the ground end strapped? Turn your set-up 90 degrees to the right (from rear of trailer) and you can access it from one side so you don't have to crawl under your trailer to strap it up. You can probably even use the original latching system. Or put the latch on the ground end of the landing leg...

One down-side - the leg may get it the way if you want to dump a load.

Something to think about...

KsM715

Thats not a bad idea but it has one draw back. With the way it pivots now, If one drives off with the leg still down it will just fold back and drag, not doing much damage. (ask me how I know :oops:) If I mounted it sideways then it will get bent and surely bend the rear cross member that its bolted too.

ClockworkSkin

Thats not a bad idea but it has one draw back. With the way it pivots now, If one drives off with the leg still down it will just fold back and drag, not doing much damage. (ask me how I know :oops:) If I mounted it sideways then it will get bent and surely bend the rear cross member that its bolted too.
This is how I got my trailer. No leg, just a bent crossmember from someones previous carelessness.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks