• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 cover rubber rope mod help

Jeepadict

Some time back I recall some fellas telling about their mod to use a loop of rubber rope (IIRC) on their covers inlieu of the braided rope from the factory. I understood that the rubber rope did a better job of keeping the cover more taught and was much easier donning and doffing.

Despite my best use of the search feature I've been unable to find the thread I recall from the past. As I just ordered a new cover from eBay, I'd like to do the rubber rope mod but am in need of some guidance on the specifics so I don't have to attempt to reinvent the wheel. TIA

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need some 1/2" or shock cord. Been doing this for years. I also use the shock cord to keep the top tight so it won't collect water. I first tried manilla rope and it worked well but would sag in damp weather. Below is an older pic of this. The shock cord was a great remedy for that. This also works great on truck canvas cargo tops to keep the saging at bay. Hope this helps.

Mark

s-l400 - 2023-03-28T053313.673.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
After 20 years in the Army, the only way I ever found to really keep the cover from not collecting water on top was to find an old piece, (Or several pieces) of 1/4 inch plywood and screw it to the bows. When we had a trailer that we needed to take the cover and bows often off, we used thin Carriage bolts and wing nuts.

1680038526998.png

Jeepadict

One of the best mods for the M101 series ever
Thanks for the link, that's the one I couldn't find! 2+ years with that coil of rope and I truly hate it...it has memory like wire cable, won't stay twisted, overall disappointed. Looking forward to the rubber rope mod. What diameter did you end up going with?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks