• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Dump Bed

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that could be used with some handy fab work.

MarcusOReallyus

Actually, I suspect that the "dumping feature" is a side effect of the fact that they made the tongue, so that if the tongue frames rear bolts are removed, the tongue can be rotated vertically, for storage/shipping purposes - the tongue frame part that is under the bed, rotates downward and acts as a stand!.

Lee in ALaska
You are correct, Lee. These are NOT made to dump. Just because they will, doesn't mean it's intended. You are rotating a part that is not meant to handle much rotation, and not at all under load.

I've thought about replacing the current arrangement with a proper bushing or bearing. Something greaseable. Not sure that tractor part would hold the weight, but maybe....

And then adding a hydraulic cylinder to do the lifting....

Hey, I can dream, can't I? :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Mark2X2

You are correct, Lee. These are NOT made to dump. Just because they will, doesn't mean it's intended. You are rotating a part that is not meant to handle much rotation, and not at all under load.

I've thought about replacing the current arrangement with a proper bushing or bearing. Something greaseable. Not sure that tractor part would hold the weight, but maybe....

And then adding a hydraulic cylinder to do the lifting....

Hey, I can dream, can't I? :mrgreen:
I agree with you, they can but shouldn't, but with out a few mods they could. I have a nice hydraulic hand pump, reservoir and cylinder I'm going to install for a controlled dump on my M101. The biggest problem I see with trailers dumping in this post is dumping over the tailgate. I have hauled thousands of yards of sand and gravel with Military and civilian dump trucks, the best result has always been dumping through it rather than over it. Bulky stuff and rocks are better over it. If you removed the tailgate before you dumped sand or gravel or hinged it at the top like a dump truck the result would be better.

serious_lee

Heim joints

I decided to give these heim joints a try: http://www.barnes4wd.com/Heat-Treated-Chromoly-34-16-X-58-Heim-Joint_p_153.html

They have amazing tensile strength for their size being heat treated cro-moly and they're cheaper than the bulky 3 point bushings. I'd like to see the hand pump hydraulic setup you're talking about when you're done. My plans for the mod are not finalized yet since I have had success unloading a ton of gravel with my load handler http://www.loadhandler.com/. That setup will work for now, but the dump action would be nice to have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks