• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 mods

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A while back I purchased a trailer from Maddawg that came without the "A" frame section. I had the arms to form the "A" frame, so no big deal. Someone else was selling the surge brake from an A2, so I bought that to put on my trailer. Once assembled, I mounted my mep003 to the chassis, figuring I would one day build a bed for the trailer. Well, as luck would have it, another buddy decided to remove his flat bed to put on a cargo bed he just bought. After some horse trading, his flat bed came home with me.

Yesterday I went up to Beefco industries and pulled the mep003 off the frame, lifted up the flat bed and lowered it on the chassis, then put the mep back on the trailer. Looks GOOD!!!

I have a couple holes to drill to finish mounting the bed to the chassis and I need to find measurements to located the mep in the right place of the trailer bed. After that is accomplished, I will need to open the hubs and see what is frozen to get the parking brakes working again.

Anyone have an 003 on an old style M101 flat bed that could get me some measurements? Mine is just setting there for now, but I'd like to bolt it in place eventually.

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A while back I purchased a trailer from Maddawg that came without the "A" frame section. I had the arms to form the "A" frame, so no big deal. Someone else was selling the surge brake from an A2, so I bought that to put on my trailer. Once assembled, I mounted my mep003 to the chassis, figuring I would one day build a bed for the trailer. Well, as luck would have it, another buddy decided to remove his flat bed to put on a cargo bed he just bought. After some horse trading, his flat bed came home with me.

Yesterday I went up to Beefco industries and pulled the mep003 off the frame, lifted up the flat bed and lowered it on the chassis, then put the mep back on the trailer. Looks GOOD!!!

I have a couple holes to drill to finish mounting the bed to the chassis and I need to find measurements to located the mep in the right place of the trailer bed. After that is accomplished, I will need to open the hubs and see what is frozen to get the parking brakes working again.

Anyone have an 003 on an old style M101 flat bed that could get me some measurements? Mine is just setting there for now, but I'd like to bolt it in place eventually.
PM ferro, he has my M116 taking an MEP002 off of it. He should be able to take measurements that will get you very close! I know it's not done yet because he has two other high priority projects - Bella and Peck's welder/generator - to finish up with first.

gimpyrobb

An mep002 came off the bed originally. None of the holes line up with my 003(very well). Thanks for the bump though!

Crawdaddy

I've been working on a genset trailer based around a MEP-003 on a M101 trailer. I put it crossways on the trailer just ahead of the axle. It hangs off either side by about the width of the fender.

With nothing else on the trailer except the genset, it's about 550 pounds of tongue weight. To balance the trailer out, I'm putting a 100 gallon fuel tank just behind the axle, which makes the tongue weight 450 pounds. I've been meaning to make a build thread on it, but haven't gotten around to it, but here's a shot of the trailer as of a couple weeks ago.

IMG_1688.jpg

CGarbee

I've hade a few M116 trailers with a pair of MEP-002s on them, but have long since sold them (but could visit them for measurements if needed). Had a M101A1 with a MEP-003 in it (with the M37 gas tank slung underneath) that no longer has the genset or tank, etc. Sold the genset, put the tank in a M37, use the trailer behind the M37 and XM708 (and Yukon...).
I once put a pair of MEP-003 in a M101A1 for the trip from NC to CO (my brother purchased all three items from me for use at his home in Black Forest) The gensets just fit in the trailer with one in the front crosswise and one longitudinally between the fenders. I bolted them in and towed it out behind my Suburban. You are right at the trailer's military "on-road" weight limit with the 003s, so it towed really well... :)

Crawdaddy's setup looks nice and I suspect that it is going to tow well... ;)

Trailer mounted gensets are useful...

CGarbee

I am subscribing to see how he hooks the surge brake to the M101 axle. :burn:

A buddy of mine hooked the surge brakes up on his M101 years ago...
It was pretty easy, if I remember correctly, since the drums/shoes/backing plates are the same as on a M37 (he removed the mechanical parking brake linkage and installed the wheel cylinders off a M37). Not sure of the exact details, but he was happy with the result. He sourced the hitch (surge assembly) off a wrecked M101A2)

gimpyrobb

Had a M101A1 with a MEP-003 in it (with the M37 gas tank slung underneath) that no longer has the genset or tank, etc. Sold the genset, put the tank in a M37, use the trailer behind the M37 and XM708 (and Yukon...).
AllI really need is the mounting hole measurements. If you still have the trailer to measure where the mounting holes are, that would be great!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be very interested if someone can share pictures and their experience.

I have a pure trailer salad m101a1 that I picked up recently and am going to try to sell but it has a surge unit and pintle on a m101a1 frame and axle. Among other strange things it has a newer style m101a2 bed with ribs, hubs are mounted on the wrong sides with wrong lug threads, budd wheel with a 235 on one side and a 900 on the other. ( Tires now swapped and fixed with 235 on each of those heavy bud wheels :-( )

I have another m101a1 with the fuel tank set up with a gen set in bed and would love to swap the surge unit to it if I know how to adapt it for sure?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny I missed this when it was first posted.

What an amazing work space you have.

;-)

CGarbee

Boy it sure would be nice to have a write up on that conversion of the m101a1 axle to surge brakes. If I can do this I might not need to swap axles.
Dan Pinkham is the guy who did it. Lives over near Monroe...
He did a writeup in MV Magazine back when David Ahl owned it...

I don't think that he is on this site, but I suspect that I could find his contact info...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks