• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 on-road weight capacity

Nonotagain

Uh-huh....and guys have walked through minefields before without getting hurt, too. That doesn't mean it's safe to do. It also doesn't mean that its not putting others at risk due to our choices.

Lance
I don't quite know what to say about your comment, but my 4runner is certified to tow up to 5000 lbs.

The M105a3 having surge brakes stops without issues.

The reason that I don't use the 4runner often to tow the trailer has noting to do with safety, but that I have other vehicles that I can use that are more suited to use for a tow vehicle.

Whenever I have to travel to my Mom-n-Dads house I use the 4runner due to the short truning radius. Neither my Suburban or F350 dually can get into the area that I need to access with the trailer attached.

OrangeMopar

Went out an took some photos of my trailers bed dimensions.
Front to back 96"
Inside-side to side 65 1/2"
Side walls 18"

With my racks up: 4ft above the floor
So 8ftx5.5ft(roughly)x4=gives me just shy of 176 cubic feet. Roughly a cord and a half of fire wood in the trailer alone. With you 8' truck bed, well you do the math.:grin:

The ability to dump with these is really nice. Replace the bolts at the front of the bed with pull pins and it will swing back with help from something to give it a push and waa-la!
As for trailer brakes on mine, I can add them anytime I want. Mine did not come with a surge system but had the parking brakes (no levers though). With my 3/4 to truck having four wheel discs and common sense using the transmission, I haven't had problems controlling a full loaded trailer. I do agree that additional braking ability definitely adds to safety.
Where do you get the pull pins at to replace the bolts? I tried Tractor Supply, Fastnal and local hardware stores and nobody has any long enough.

CharlyArmy

Firewood

I currently have a M101A2 sitting by my patio door 1/2 full of firewood. When I first loaded it, it was stacked side to side, top to bottom and front to back and the springs hardly noticed the weight. Trailer was balanced with the laod I had and I could pick up the front end and move it by myself. You can't do that with a M105 trailer.

KsM715

Lance, the a3 has surge brakes on it. As long as they are in working order I dont see a problem pulling it with a "smaller" vehicle down the road. Now an A2 without any brakes loaded would be a different story.

taildragger03

Where do you get the pull pins at to replace the bolts? I tried Tractor Supply, Fastnal and local hardware stores and nobody has any long enough.
If you have a good axle repair shop or even a truck stop, will have the pins I am talking about. They usually are high visible with that plastic coating on the grab handle. Usually red, the pins are held in place with just a standard slip clip like those on the hitch pins. Real easy to install, may have to chase the holes with a drill to clean and align holes but really makes for an easy tilt setup. I use my hi-lift jack under the frame of my trailer, lift passed the balance point and she slowly tilts back. Attached to the truck of course!

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter

OrangeMopar

You can get the hitch pins @ Tractor supply. Good advice on reeming out the holes first. Also we installed bump stops on the "A" frame just behind the brackets, sometimes the bed will come down quic especially if the bed is not empty and brackets will not allign. Check out the link for tractor supply.
Forged Hitch Pin, 5/8 in. x 6-1/4 in. L (Usable) - 0268682 | Tractor Supply Company:razz:
Yeah I found them yesterday at TSC. Apparently my buddy that was there the other day didnt look hard enough:doh: They take the 1/2" though. I know what you mean about the bump stops thats the next order of business. We found that on asphault they will line up much better than on grass or dirt probably because the tires both have equal grip when you pull the truck forward.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those guys with 3/4 ton trailers, I saw on the "who's bringing what to Aberdeen" thread that I started that CUCVFAN has some NOS crank up landing legs for the 3/4 ton trailers. That would seem like a must-have if you are hauling weight in the trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks