• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Pulling Vehicle

CSeachranaiche

I am seriously looking at an M101 but have been getting conflicting reports on how big a truck/vehicle you need to pull it. I have a Chevy S-10 and pulled different trailers including a 6x10 utility trailer. I have a Class 3 hitch on it. I would lvoe to be able to get a CUCV to pull it but that will have to come later. What do you'll think? Thanks.

dittle

Its not the pulling that you have to worry about, its stopping ability. A M101 weighs around 1700lbs which I have to guess is more than those utility trailers you have been pulling. I would say that the S10 may be a little light in the braking department for this trailer.

Barrman

I agree. My M715 pulls the M101 just fine. But, even with the trailer empty, I can feel it pushing me when I stop. Then I fixed the surge brakes and can't even tell its there.

A M416 is better sized for the S10.

A M101A2 with thin tires "might" work out for you. Be carefull with your transmission though because it will be the first thing to go.

CSeachranaiche

Ok I am lost. I found plenty of information on the M416 via the cyber highway but find no companies that sell them. I even tried craigslist and ebay, no joy. Could you'll direct or advise? Thanks.

mangus580

Well, lets start with... describe your S10? Engine, tranny, etc.

1700# is not accurate for an empty weight of a 101. TM lists the 101A2 at 1340.

EO2NMCB

Your best bet on a m416 is going to be GSA. Years ago use to pull a 3500 lb boat and trailer with a s10, only had a 4cyl. It didn't like the hills but it got the job done.

ida34

I tow my M101 with my 2002 Ford Explorer and it pulls just fine. This past weekend I had two cords of ash firewood in the trailer and it pulled just fine. That being said it runs better behind the cucv.

dittle

Sorry for being wrong on the weight, I'm over in Japan at the moment and didn't take the time to research the weight before crashing due to jet lag.

jasonjc

My buddy just got a M101 for his F-150. Now he want to get rid of it because its to heavy. It's a good thing I talked him out of the M105:p

Barrman

Let me see if I can waddle through this with the correct numbers and sizes.

The M101 and M101A1 were 3/4 ton trailers meant to be pulled behind M37 and M715 trucks. They had 5 lug rims and no braking.

The M101A2 was meant to be pulled behind the CUCV trucks, had 8 lug 1 ton hubs and surge brakes.

The M101A3 was meant to be pulled behind the HMMWV and besides an offset spindle is the same as the M101A2.

Basically, the M101 series was meant for full size trucks. I can pick up the tongue and move the trailer around by myself.

The M105 series was meant for M35's and bigger. My M715 hurts pulling my M105's so don't go there with your S10. It took 4 adults pushing for all they had to push my empty M105 across a concrete loading dock and into the back of my M35. 2300 pounds empty weight comes to mind for these things.

I don't know when the M416 started production. I do know they were used behind the M151 trucks. The M151 was the 4 seat replacement for the Jeep M38A1 in the '60's and was used until it was replaced by the HMMWV. Everybody wants a M416 because they are looking for the same thing you are. Small enough to be pulled by anything, rugged, cool looking and big enough to hold a lot. (They even float when empty if the body is still good.) $700-$1500 depending on location and condition seem to be the going rate the last few months.

There is also a Canadian version of the M416. It is called the M101 in Canada. I think the Canadian M101 is a better trailer than the American M416 because of a few little things and they fact that they are newer.

A fellow member here, Kwai, has a Canadian M101 he put different hubs on so the bolt pattern matched his Rubicon TJ. One spare tire for his Rubicon and trailer. He traveled like that almost 3,000 miles this summer to Colorado and back from Houston loaded down with camping stuff and coolers. My point is that an American M416 or a Canadian M101 will really compliment your S10 better than just about any other M trailer out there.

Flea

Greetings! I noticed you're from the tri-cities as well.

There's a guy that has one, dunno if it's for sale, close to where I live in Mount Carmel. Do you know where Independence Ave is? It's close to where Independence and Tranbarger Road intersect.

RKBA

I tow my M101 with my 2002 Ford Explorer and it pulls just fine. This past weekend I had two cords of ash firewood in the trailer and it pulled just fine. That being said it runs better behind the cucv.
Did you really have two cords? Holy smokes that's a lot of bulk/weight.

CSeachranaiche

Flea I am new to the Tri-Cities area (1 1/2yrs) and spent most time over by Elizabethton. ida34, 2 cords? I was told a cord is 4'x4'x8', can an M101 hold 2 cords? It is funny that the M416 is older but will cost you more than a newer M101. For 700+ I could buy a rear end of an pickup truck and make it into a trailer.:-D

dittle

The M105 series was meant for M35's and bigger. My M715 hurts pulling my M105's so don't go there with your S10. It took 4 adults pushing for all they had to push my empty M105 across a concrete loading dock and into the back of my M35. 2300 pounds empty weight comes to mind for these things.
I pull my M105 around my yard with my Arctic Cat 650. I can push it across the road by hand, all you need to do is lift the jack off the ground when turning it. I pull it with a F350 and have no issues with stopping even with 2000lb load in it. Empty weight is 2720lbs.