• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Questions

Flank

Hey Gang, brand new to this forum, but not to forums in general. Did a brief search looking for answers on my 1953 M101, did not see info.

My trailer has 6 lug split ring wheels that originally had 9.00-16 NDTs dating from the 60 on it. These are long gone, replaced by Michelin X 9.00-16 radials running radial flaps and radial tubes (try finding these - took like two months to do so).

I have been told that the M101 only came as a 5 lug, but the wheels look original, as do the hubs, and the age of tire mounted tells me that those 6 lug wheels have been on for a LONG time. Did the M101 ever come with 6 lug, or were mine converted?

Next, Looking to open up and service the hubs. They have been rolling well and cool, but after 5 years of owning this and only the Lord knows how long since service, it is probably time. If I open up the hubs and the bearings self detonate, is there a source for these, are are they common that I could pick them up at an auto parts store?

Thanks in advance for input!!!

Flank

Great info, thanks. I will post up pics of the wheels and trailer in general.

It is a bit of a franken-beast - was stripped of extras prior to my purchase. No brakes, no jack (except for the one I installed), lunette removed and replaced with a hack job welded ball hitch. This I removed and welded in a receiver tube, so that I can change out a standard ball hitch receiver or a lunette or other off road hitch. The original bombing lights were trashed due to sitting for at least 5 plus years in Texas in the tipped position. Wiring was beyond repair and the electrical components were rusted past serviceability. Replaced with standard trailer lights for now in the stock location. Anywhoooo, someday, I want to strip it and repaint and replace the stencils, etc. Restoration is not really an option, as it is pretty banged up, but no cancer rust.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks