• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Rebuild pix

Carter

Cargo box repair has not begun but here a few shots showing what work has been completed. I am trying to mantain 3 civ vehicles and two MV's and this trailer so I only get a small amount of time to devote to eack however benign neglect is what the old 101 ( 1968 Mfg date) has received recently. Work will continue though 'til I get it done, if I live that long :wink:
Carter
NRA Life

http://news.webshots.com/album/550941539aSwjue

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good! Looks like it goes nicely behind the M880 or the M37.

BSH

Writeup! I want info!

That really looks great! If that's what benign neglect looks like, then I'm downright abusive to my trailer (which I haven't even got the lug nuts off of yet).

Did you have to make any repairs to the frame, or did you just refinish it? Did you sandblast to remove the old finish & corrosion? It looks like you fabbed a mount to run the civvy lights or the original 24v lights. What other fixing up did you do on that?

I'm interested in reading about any work folks do to their trailers, because I will eventually get something done to mine. For this year, all I really want to do is rewire and put new tires on.

Carter

Re: RE: M101 Rebuild pix

BSH said:
Writeup! I want info!

That really looks great! If that's what benign neglect looks like, then I'm downright abusive to my trailer (which I haven't even got the lug nuts off of yet).

Did you have to make any repairs to the frame, or did you just refinish it? Did you sandblast to remove the old finish & corrosion? It looks like you fabbed a mount to run the civvy lights or the original 24v lights. What other fixing up did you do on that?

I'm interested in reading about any work folks do to their trailers, because I will eventually get something done to mine. For this year, all I really want to do is rewire and put new tires on.
Brain,

I did a little welding on the frame but no metal patching, I sand blasted, scrapped, wire wheeled and sanded in order to get the frame ready for paint. Some of the other work that I did was to rewire it for civ. lights and plan to do a separate harness for the original 24 volt waterproof lights. Several years ago I picked up an inexpensive wiring harness for some type of M series trailer that had Douglas connectors and plan to alter the harness and use it for my 24 volt system along with the 12 volt system I've already installed. Next on my list will be to install new hand brake levers and cables that I bought at Colmans Surplus. After that new tires and tubes, weld, sand and paint the cargo box and reinstall the racks and bows and viny M880l top that I have for it.

Carter
NRA Life

Carter

Re: RE: M101 Rebuild pix

WillWagner said:
Looks good! Looks like it goes nicely behind the M880 or the M37.
I still need to make up and install the 24V wiring harness and yes It tows great behind either Dodge. 2 trucks a trailer and a wife that understands, LIFE IS GOOD

Carter
NRA Life

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pics, Carter!

That reminds me, I restored a M416 trailer 10 years back, I've been meaning to post the pics of the resto, they are similar to the ones and shots you posted. Only problem is they are prints, guess I'll have to take digital pics of the prints for them to be posted here.

BSH

Resurrecting an old thread, as I consider things I should do to my trailer...

Carter, did you make that rear landing leg yourself, or where did you get it? Also, did you add something to the front of the box, where the two bolts that hold the box down or release it for dumping position? I'm seeing a piece of square tube in the U part on the frame going out to the tongue that mine doesn't have. And did you add bump stops in the springs? What all did you do to your brakes?

And did I mention this trailer looks great?

Carter

The rear leg was something my friend Ralph made for the trailer out of parts he had on hand like the leg's base plate which is a adjustable support foot for leveling production machines where he works as a mechanical engineer. The rest of the leg is standard black iron pipe. The bracket is stock and was on another trailer which we removed and added to this one. I needed a rear leg to avoid tipping the rig on it's tailgate since I have a 3/4 ton PE 95K genset bolted into the bed and standing it on it's a$$ was not an option.

The frame mounted square tubes were on the bed when I got it from a guy in New Jersey who welded them on to replace the missing eye bolts normally found on these trailers. They work and since I didn't do a restoration I left them on since they serve the purpose intended.

The spring bumpers were stock on this trailer and all I did was clean and reinstall them, see part 23 in the first attachment.

The brakes were frozen and the levers and cables were missing when I got it. I removed the wheels, drums and all components, everything was cleaned, anti-siezed and reinstalled. I got new levers from Coleman's, added new cables and hooked everything back up.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks