• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Restore!

Ripcord01

I picked up a 101 today . After getting it home and looking it over I had discovered that there was no way in **** the trailer was built in 1996. The plate was not original to the trailer. So I was going to just scrap it, but decided while I was scraping the texture ,rust,and tar out of the bed, I felt that it needed to be restored and not scrapped!

I do have questions!

1. Can anyone recommend a place to get the Marking kits?
2. Can anyone point me to a good shrink?
3. The trailer has one ownership plate and a Generic data plate with no info .
Would anyone have a used set to donate?
4. How do I know if it has been painted using CARC ? No ID anywhere?
5. Can 1 person remove the bed?

I am sure there will be many more as the project goes on. I am trying to do this restoration without any paid help.. Should be fun. I have the TM.

Thanks all..

Kreg

amaverick88

the dents you should be able to pop back out with a little persuasion. about the crack i would say it should get welded and the ground smooth to match the contour.

Ripcord01

the dents you should be able to pop back out with a little persuasion. about the crack i would say it should get welded and the ground smooth to match the contour.

I tried to rig a battering ram out of some old 2x4 stock but, the only thing I was able to do was add a dimple to the trailer. I am not a body man by any means so this should be fun..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a trailer and a dang useful one at that. Keep this one as a beater hauler. Actually, it looks pretty nice to me.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never scrap a trailer as good looking as that. If you decide you don't want it, sell to us. Someone here will at least pay you what you have in it.

Good save. One person can remove the bed, they aren't too heavy. CARC paint usually looks like a combination of paint and light-grade sandpaper. If your paint kinda looks like that, probably CARC. Take the usual precautions when sanding, wear a respirator.

Ripcord01

Never scrap a trailer as good looking as that. If you decide you don't want it, sell to us. Someone here will at least pay you what you have in it.

Good save. One person can remove the bed, they aren't too heavy. CARC paint usually looks like a combination of paint and light-grade sandpaper. If your paint kinda looks like that, probably CARC. Take the usual precautions when sanding, wear a respirator.
It is defiantly not CARC paint. The outside looks like it may be house paint the way that it is peeling. No texture in the paint. Thanks for help.

Truckie

I used two farm jacks on one side, cribbed it and then moved to the the other side to lift the bed off of my M105 trailers to work on them -This should work for the M101 as it is lighter2cents

Ripcord01

I tried for two hours today to get the bed off and no success. The tar is like caked on1/4 of an inch thick on the under carriage of trailer. Well I know that the trailer is waterproof from the bottom up. I did drag it around for a trip and this thing pulls so nice.
Hardly knew it was there loaded. :p

Ripcord01

Today I discovered that there has to be a camo God and he is not a fan of mine today. I primed the exterior panels of the trailer
using black rustoleum primer. I figured I would try my luck at a little camoflouge job.. I found out I do not have this skill..

Starting out using a black foundation ! How can I get a good camo?
I want to use black then have the secondary colors to be medium brown and then a tan .
anyone have painting ideas? Should I just stick with one color?

ralbelt

You should be able to rig a jack inside and push the dent out, just make sure you don't push out the opposite side. If you decide to sell the spare tire mount I would be interested.

Nice trailer.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The usual way to camo a truck or trailer was to use a green base coat and add the brown and black over it.

The pattern would be drawn out in chalk and painted on one color at a time.

There is a manual that shows the patterns and how to do it.

Ratch

That black and tan/white pattern is pretty cool looking. If you're not going for an original look, I'd say stick with that.

Also, that does look like carc. If you're not sure, probably safer to assume it is and take proper precautions. Don't sand it without a respirator or over the area near your well.

Ripcord01

More recent. The spare wheel covers half the front for now. I am looking into changing the rims. Then I will do some tweaking. The tires are cracking and need to be replaced. I have some new rubber coating for the inside floor. Just need the humidity to drop so I can paint it.

Attachments

Ripcord01

Well I am trying to find a local source for NDT tires.Unless you buy 500 or so, no deal wants to talk to me. Coker tire way to pricey.Well the quest continues. Here are some pictures of the floor scraped and re-primed with Rustoleum oil primer. I will repaint the floor black as it was. Need a little cooler temps outside. But hey it is summer.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks