• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Sideboard Lumber

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, on the way back from the GA Rally I scooped up an M101A1. Nice trailer complete with racks but rotten wood. What would be a good choice for lumber to use for these that should be available locally? I have access to a planer to get them to the correct dimensions. Wished I had access to that yellow locust that Bjorn turned me on to. No sawmills around here to my knowlege.

M37Dodge

White oak is great too. However, it can be hard to find sometimes. Red oak has an open end grain structure that may suck up water by capillary action, unlike white oak. White oak will withstand tremendous exposure/weathering - the stuff on my M37 lasted 50 years. It was also used on the WWII Dodges and post-war Power Wagons for the bed floors.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I have been thinking about using that composite decking to replace the strips between the bed and the frame on my deuce.

citizensoldier

Hi Kenny..
I agree with M37 Dodge.. Almost all the M37's and even my M135 were White Oak. All of it was out in the weather for 40+ years and is just now needing replacement.. You might be able to find some wide 4" or 6" White Oak flooring that you can mill down. This would be nice and dry and clear grained plus cheaper.
I replaced my M37 Canadian with Honduras Mahogany.. I know, I know but check around. Sometimes you can get Mahogany cheaper than Oak... It has the strength for it and will hold up very well in any weather. If you not in a big rush I might have enough here for a M101 but would not be able to bring it until the FL rally.. I would use stainless bolts too..
Hope this helps

citizensoldier

I have been thinking about using that composite decking to replace the strips between the bed and the frame on my deuce.
A problem you might have with most composite decking I have worked with is it is flimzy when spanning very far.. It also expands and contracts much further than wood, and is more money than wood.

jasonjc

I was thinking about 5/4" treated pine for new seats on the deuce?? Ripped in half they would be about 3/8" narrower than OE. any thoughts???
Sorry for the hijack Kenny, but seem every one has wood on the mine, I'd thought this in to.

citizensoldier

Only a few comments about treated.. It does not take paint very well, and tends to wonder a bit as it dries in the sun. You will also need to use hot dipped galvanized bolts or stainless. The new treated will eat right through regular fasteners. But it is a affordable option..
I am not sure you want to go with pine thinner than original..

Oh.. and thats allot of ripping! :-D

sgtrisk

Isn't there a place that you can purchase rough-sawn lumber? Check the woodworking supply stores. There should be someplace relatively near you that carries rough cut lumber.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
White oak was what the government used originally. It's a good, hard wood that weathers well. Maple is harder, takes a better finish if you want a good clear finish, but is expesive as all get out in the sizes you'll need. Hickory is an excellent choice, too, if you can beat the hammer-handle factories to the supplier. Ash is also good for a nice smooth finish, weathers well, but tends to be a little "springier" than other options. Osage orange is a tough, durable wood, but tends to be a bit difficult to work (it takes a lot of effort to get a good finish, but it really shines if you stick to it). There are many other more "exotic" choices, too, but the more exotic, the more they will cost. Of those I have mentioned, white oak is by far the least expensive. As always, "ya pays her money an' ya takes yer cherce!" ;)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're looking for a good stable, sturdy wood you might want to try IPE. It's a Brazilian hard wood that is being used in a lot of decking these days. I made an adirondack chair out of it for my mother-in-law. Hardest freaking wood I've ever worked with. I went through 8 drill bits predrilling for screws.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best source of lumber here is Home Depot. So sufficed to say, can't get real lumber

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Osage Orange is another one I like along with the yellow locust. I might have to import some wood for this.

citizensoldier

If you're looking for a good stable, sturdy wood you might want to try IPE. It's a Brazilian hard wood that is being used in a lot of decking these days. I made an adirondack chair out of it for my mother-in-law. Hardest freaking wood I've ever worked with. I went through 8 drill bits predrilling for screws.
Ipe is great stuff and will not rot. BUT ! Its 4 times harder than Oak and very, very heavy.. Lifting one M101 side board with Ipe on it would be a killer. Now it would make great bow lumber:?: Its very, very, very strong.. PS dont cut it without a mask. It naturaly draws silica from the soil thats why it wont rot. The oils in it along with silica can calpse a lung. One guy up here broke out in hives the size of quarters. Some type of alergic reaction. Kind of like some guys can't fall a Ash tree up here. It puts them down with a death cough. I have used miles of this wood. The only wood that you can throw a 4x4 chunk of it it the water and it sinks!:-D Its beautiful stuff too and at one time it was very cheap.. Rich folks up here were going together and buying complete shiploads of it out of South America.. Lets just say anything that could be built out of it I was asked to do it..
NO MILLS !! Now that is just weird! I think there are something like 25 mills in my county alone.. I will bring you something straped to that tailgate.. :grin: