• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Tailgate and tie downs

Nick

So Ive noticed a few of these trailers have the tie down clevices and brackets on the back. Mine didnt when I got it. But I wanted them back there. So I had some made and welded em on where they should go.

Not long after I did, I figured out why it didnt have them. When the tailgate is opened, without the rear landing leg down, the gate hits the bracket, scarring the paint.

Fredo's post below about his new paint reminded me. I noticed he has the rear tie downs. Does yours hit the bracket?

What is there to keep this from happening? Or is this why mine didn't have them when I got it? The tailgate didn't have any marks on it like they were there and then removed.

Thanks
Nick

koolex11

Yeah 5 extra links and 2 quick links get pretty close to level. If I remember, I had to drill the hole in the pin a little larger so the quick link would fit in. You don't have to remove anything to fold up the gate either. Another advantage to this system.

Nick

Soldier One and Soldier Two never worried about losing a little paint. Wayne

True dat, but soldier one and soldier two didnt pay to get it painted and go thru all the work to get er fixed up to her current condition. I mean I understand the concept, a little paint scratch is no big deal, but with this color, all imperfections show and seem to be magnified

Nick

You can always hook up some chain extensions to avoid messing up the paint and give you something to sit on...
I REALLY REALLY like that idea. In fact i have some pics from your other posts saved for that to reference to. I may just do that. I was just thinkin it would be easier for loading or unloading with it all the way down, out of the way.

I do like the sitting on idea, and I guess it is a stronger gate than the Dodge Power Wagon gate I have. Its very flimsy. I wouldnt sit on it, itll fold in half.

The only other thing I was thinkin was how to do it with my chains, they have pins that hold the gate shut, not like yours. Mine are just straight pins, and Im tryin to figure how to do it with one length of chain so nothing dangles or hangs and does more paint scratching.

Thanks
Nick

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Ive set it gently agains the shackles, thats not the problem, its the movement of the trailer or gate while getting in or out that rubs the paint.
maybe your shackles are just harsher on the paint than mine, how about a set of rubber bumpers like on an m105?

DAP

Alternatives:
Wrap the shackle in electric tape (or better yet OD duct tape) OR
Go to NAPA get what they call spiral wrap, you can get it in clear, black and some limited colors elsewhere. Wind that around the loop. Spiral wrap is used for wrapping electric harnesses to keep them from chaffing. I t is more difficult to install by about 5 seconds then wire loom.

Nick

maybe your shackles are just harsher on the paint than mine, how about a set of rubber bumpers like on an m105?
Thats been my thought. I have a rubber bumper on the top of the tailgate to prevent it from hitting the rear landing leg when its down and damaging the paint. But the leg isn't always down.

What are the ones on the 105s?

Nick

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks