• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m101 trailer for $50 - recovery

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I found a CL ad for a M101 trailer for $50 - and it looked it. But I felt sorry for the old veteran, and I decided to rescue it from a rusty fate. Well, more rusty than it already is. There are some good parts on this unit, at the very least some parts can get saved and used to complete other better condition trailers.

Was located about 70 miles from home base, rented a Uhaul car trailer and burned some gas, towed home very nicely once ratcheted down a bit. I thought about towing home using a set of replacement wheels/tires that tacticaltruck offered, but there were other issues, like missing light harness, no plates that were valid and to be honest, the owner said last time he took the lug nuts off was 30 years or so ago, so I wasn't too confident I could even swap out the wheels. So, flat trailer it was.

Looks like it has a good lunette and trailer casting, chains, landing leg, draw arms, frame, springs, axle, and shock mounts. Not sure about the wheels, they look pretty crusty. The bed is probably shot even for a welder, lots of holes and bends, same with the tailgate. The troop seat and front gate uprights look salvagable.

I was originally thinking of taking the bed off and eventually turning this into a camping trailer, with a custom bed and room for lots of accessories. But, I'd rather do that with an M101A2 trailer, with more modern wheels and tires, and this is really too crusty and would take too much work to make 100% again. So, out comes the ratchets and the torch, I guess it's time to make lemons out of lemonade.

Oh, and the last pic - the possum license plate came attached to the trailer. I saw it and thought of wreckerman and his stupid sexual penchant for possum.

Attachments

Last edited:

rickf

Now I want to know one thing, How many people that see that last picture do not immediately think of Wreckerman?:eek:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, it doesn't look in to bad of shape really, good find and for $50 plus the fuel that's a steal
The bed is really Swiss cheese, and the tailgate too, close up you'd see it. It would be solid enough for a trailer to haul firewood in, if you didn't care what it looked like, but then you have the bad tires to replace, and maybe the wheels and lock ring, etc. etc. I just don't think it's worth a lot more work when good nice condition M101 trailers are still being surplussed in the $300 range or so. If I want a nice camper, I'll buy one down the road.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I am saying is I bought this to find homes for what is left that is good, and the rest will be scrapped out. I'd rather save something, even just to find the parts a good home, than to have the whole thing end up at the scrappers and the good parts are lost forever.

harleyhouse

Looks better than the over priced Junk trailers listed on the Pittsburgh craigslist.
Sell off the good stuff, wheels axle, springs, pintle, tie down rings then scrap the rest.
Make your money back plus.

daveks63

I was looking at that trailer last week when I was in Roanoke,VA. I just didn't want to have to trailer it all the way back to Kansas. Looks like you got one heck of a deal.