• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 trailer on a CUCV, what lights do I use?

DrJekl

I have a M101 trailer and it uses 24 volt bulbs in the tail lamps. What 12V bulbs do I use so I can retain the original CUCV intra vehicular cable?

Last edited:

6x6guy

What I did was obtain another front and rear housings, gutted the inside and put in new
bulb sockets in its place, either by pop rivet and or sheet metal screws. And if you change
your mind, just change it back to the original housing and electrical set up..
The parts are availble at any automotive parts store. :roll:

Barrman

A M101A2 or M101A3, basically any 8 lug M101 will be 12 volt lights already. Use a test light and check to make sure your trailer wiring isn't the problem instead of the bulbs.

LanceRobson

It is a M101A2, the bulbs in it are all 24V.
Not always true. The units that had CUCVs used 12 volt lamps. Everyone else used 24 volt lamps. The model of the trailer does not have any significance, only the model of the prime mover mattered.

If you are going to use both 12 and 24 volt prime movers, consider LED lamps. They don't care if you use 12 volt or 24 volt power.

If you hook up to a 12 volt tow vehicle with 24 volt lamps they will still work, they will just be dim. If you are getting no illumination then, as written above, troubleshoot the wiring, starting with the truck. You may need to make up a jumper wire to check the trailer wiring harness for continuity, too.

I now that there are posts on SS that will tell which wires to check but if you cruise over to Olive-Drab.com and check there they have a very complete chart with ALL the standard wiring numbers listed.

Check here: MILITARY VEHICLE TECHNICAL REFERENCES

Lance

DrJekl

The bulbs in my trailer are (were) 24V. Not too concerned about other trailers right now.

Thanks for the help guys. Just looking for some bulb numbers.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I said earlier, I use the 97s and 1156s. Have 3 trailers in the yard now with these bulbs transplanted in them. Tried the 1003s for running lights but were too bright! If these don't work, time for some troubleshooting.

Crash_AF

1156 was too big for the last M101 that I swapped to 12V. Take the 24V bulb out and take it into the store, then compare it to the packs until you find the 12V equivalent. It's been a couple of months and I didn't write the number down but it was at the local O'reilly's. IIRC, you need 4 of them.

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks