• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m101 trailer questions

So I have a couple questions about the M101 series of trailers. I'm seeing several coming up on GL and I'm looking to have to move in the next couple months. I need a trailer that i can tow behind a 95 F150 and keep my stuff dry while I'm moving. With the 101a2 or 101a3 series of trailer would I be within the tow ratings of an f150 with a 302? How well do the tarps work to keep everything dry in the trailer? After I'm done moving I was thinking about turning it into some sort of a camping trailer where I could just leave my non weather sensitive stuff in it make it easier to pack up to leave. What sort of problems do you usually have when you pick them up from GL? Should I plan on taking my car trailer and just dragging it up on there and chaining it down or could I feasibly tow it back with magnetic lights on the back? I fiddled with some trailers a bit in the Marine Corps so I'm not afraid of pulling it but I never had to put one through any significant rain either.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A F150 will tow it fine. The tarps work pretty good. Just put on the magnetic lights and go. I'd install LED's and an adapter plug after you get it home and repack the wheel bearings.

MDSA

Don't know if you are aware that you need a Pintel hitch for your receiver. Tire pressure could be low. When you tow it home, take the tarp off to reduce drag. tools, tools, lots of tools.

wilfreeman

For God's sake, if you need one with a tarp, don't expect to buy one later - get it from GL that way! Or expect to pay as much for a new tarp as you do for the trailer. They do come up for sale from time to time, but I haven't been the lucky one that sees the "for sale" post first.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to transport stuff inside and expect it to stay dry, stack stuff on pallets. Some leakage will occur. FWIW standard 8' truck toppers will fit with a little massaging. I had one with a steel utility topper and it worked quite well. This trailer is a good choice for your needs.

Towing it home, go for it. Check tires for pressure and dry rot. Monitor bearing temps and you willl be fine. Standard 8 lug wheels and tires will fit as a spare.

wilfreeman

A little camo would make that look real good! You could rig up a shelf type deal with some type of enclosure and have mini slide outs on the sides too - nice camper.

wilfreeman

Don't worry about that - just take a 4" grade 8 bolt (and nut), or hitch pin and stick it through the hole to lock the surge brake out if it does that. That's what I did on my recovery.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, check the master cylinder for break fluid. It takes ONLY DOT 5 (Silicone brake fluid).

I use mine for camping, all the time. The picture shows a plywood shelf. I store other stuff under the shelf, like bed roll, etc, under it. Siide it in from the front. Its easiest to open the front gate, and slide it in that way. I also ran an extra slat across the front, above the gate, to help support the tarp against the wind there.

When you drag it without the tarp, empty, fold the front gate around the side, to minimize drag.

If your towing it on dirt roads, like here, expect some dust, or a little snow dust, but otherwise, it will be a real handy trailer.

Good Luck

Attachments

Alright guys, Thanks for all the help. So how long do you normally have to wait for the EUCs to clear and what's the process for picking something up from the GL lot? How do you set up the appointments and do they let you pick up things on the weekends, specifically on Saturdays? EDIT: I know they give the phone number but how hard is it to actually get ahold of them and what do they consider business days since they're by appointment only.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

I tow mine with my Jeep Cherokee. That's a whopping 240 cubic inches of raw, factory standard muscle! :D No problem, even when overloaded a bit. A tad. Okay, with 3600 pounds of mulch on it! :mrgreen:

EUCs are a crap-shoot. Couple weeks, couple months. Days, years. Okay, not years. :p

Which place are you picking up? Ft Meade? I'm a regular there. Call, set an appointment, and make sure you allow for getting through the gate - it's not a big hassle, but sometimes there's a line. Don't pull in to the inspection point until you are told! Just because the guy ahead pulls out doesn't mean it's time to pull in. Have current license, registration, and proof of insurance. Entrance is off of Reese Street.

Getting them on the phone is a roll of the dice. Leave a message, leave your phone number AND the lot number, and be prepared to call again. They don't always return calls.

Nice folks, but overworked!

Magnetic trailer lights are a must, and be prepared for flat tires. There's a shiny new gas station not far off post with a good air machine. You feed the coins, set the pressure you want, and it stops when it gets to that pressure. Nice.

Oh, when you get to the yard, pull in through the gates. Ignore the sign about radioactive scanning, or whatever it says. It's obsolete. The office is in the building ahead of you as you go through the gate. Wander around in there - you'll find it. Check in there first. You'll need your license again, and your vehicle's license number.

wilfreeman

Take an air tank - it will get the tires up enough to get to the station. I didn't even have to do an euc for mine out of petersburg, sc. Take a 1/4"x4"pin to lock the surge brake out if the m/c is worn out.

I'm actually looking at both Havre De Grace and Ft Mead MD. What size tires does it take? I have a junkyard near me with some old ford 8 lug steel wheels that he can let go with some used tires for cheap so I was thinking about doing that for a set of spare tires before I go out there. I was told that the 101s will run either ford or chevy 8 lug rims they're just a little different on back spacing, Is that true? Will they let you pull them out of either of those locations or do I need to bring a flatbed to load it up on?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks