• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Trailer Variant - Questions......

CUCV IRL

:? Hi Folks,

I'm considering buying a M101A2 Trailer to tow behind my M1008 sometime later this year if the opportunity arises. Howver, one thing about these trailers I'm curious about is do they all have the ability to tip without disconnecting the trailer from the truck? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the tub has a pivot point which allows it to tip by gravity. Is this the case? Also does this model have 8 stud wheels which would allow me to put similar rims to what's on my truck on it and finally does this one have surge brakes? Unfortunately there are none that I know of this side of the pond that I could take a look at and some of the information on the M101 variants I find contradictory! :roll:

If I manage to purchase one of these trailers it will probably be in Germany so I need to have all the correct facts before I make the journey over there!!

Any helpful information appreciated! Thanx in advance.........

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the "tipping point" that you are refering to , is an arrangement built into the trailer's tongue, for storage & space savings. The tongue is designed to tip/bend/pivot upwards, allowing the portion of the tongues frame that is normally under the box, swing down as legs.

I'm not a expert on the trailer varients, but recently read here somewhere, there are 8 - hole wheel/axel models now, to go with later vehicles.

Lee in Alaska

McGuyver

I was aware of the idea of tipping the bed of the trailer in this manner, so I went out to my M101A1 and checked it out, and saw something that I thought might be a problem if I tried doing this: The pivot points on the frame did NOT look like they were coaxial to each other. I figured this could cause some bending or breakage if I tried it, so I decided not to. Can anyone confirm this on their trailer? Maybe they modified the pivot points on the A2 and later variants to make those bolted joints coaxial to each other to enable tipping the bed?

1956_4x4

I was under the impression that the trailer tongue was designed to fold up against the front of the bed for transport. I didn't think the front pivot points were designed to be released to dump the bed. I've seen it being done, but didn't think it was intentional in the design.

Smitty

Mike_Pop

I use my M101 all the time. It's my garbage hauler for my home renovations. It's really a nice feature.

FrankUSMC

In the photo of the M101 dumping the sand, make sure you chain up your tailgate while dumping, as you have to drive backwards to make the bed dump. I did not do this, the tailgate was pulled under the bed.....opps..
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

mangus580

Also... as me and Greybird learned when we took a Steam Cleaner off my 116 when he was here.... they wires ARENT long enough if you leave them in the original clamps!!

CUCV IRL

:) Thanks Folks for the information given so far. Particular the pics of the tipping "function" on these apparently very versatile M101 series trailers.
Can any one out there in Steel Soldiers Land enlighten me with the main specific differences between the M101, M101A1, M101A2 and M101A3 trailers with pics if possible or even links to websites where this info is readily available. Also info on points to look out for when viewing/purchasing a M101 would be appreciated.

As always this great site always comes up trumps with fast, helpful information on nearly all questions asked. For me, living on the other side of the pond, it makes US Military vehicle ownership so much more of a pleasure and helps keep people in the hobby which can't be a bad thing!! [thumbzup]

CGarbee

We've covered this before (so do some searches and see if you can find a more concise set of answers...)... But, off the top of my head:

M101: Five lug rims (Budd, 6.50Hx16, same as on the M37 familly of 3/4 ton trucks), 900x16 tires, brake handles have the "squeeze" trigger release and are mounted so that the move in an arc paralell to the front bed panel. Parking brakes only.
M101A1: Same as the M101 except the parking brake handles are the flip type and move in an arc perpendicular to the front bed panel.
M101A2: Surge brakes in addition to the mechancal parking brakes, hubs and rims/tires changed to match those on the Chevy CUCV's.
M101A3: Same as the M101A2 except the hubs and rims/tires changed to match the HMMWV.

Lights have been changed over the years and followed the arrangement that was on the designated towing vehicle at the time, so they have evolved from the little "cat eye" round lenses to the larger composit units and have gone from having only one service stop/tail light to two, ect... Lighting is an easy upgrade, so its commom to find a M101 with composit lights...

Not sure when the rear prop leg became standard. I've had M101's with one almost as often as I've had them without (although I have to admit that those that I've had with them seem to have been used as generator trailers...), just about every M101A1 that I've had or looked at had one... I haven't looked at M101A2's and M101A3's enough to make a definitive comment, but my guess would be that they would have one... They can be bolted on or removed quite easily, so retrofitting a trailer that does not have one is easilly done, and is very handy to have if you like to jump in the trailer when it is not hitched to a truck as it prevents it from tipping back on you (and dumping out your camping equipment for instance...).

I have photos of M101 and M101A1 on my website at:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos9.htm
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos16.htm

Photos 115-119 on the 2005 East Coast Convoy page on my website show a M101A2 trailer:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos42.htm

Don't have any photos of a M101A3 on my website currently... :(

Both my M101 and M101A1 will dump if you pop the pins, unhook the wiring from the tub, and (as FrankUSMC reminds us) chain the tailgate up so you don't bend it... Not something that is mentioned in the TM, but something that can, and is, done... :) I suspect that dumping a M101A2 or M101A3 would be just as easy since they are essentially the same trailers except for the axles (hub/rim/tires)...

Good luck.

CUCV IRL

Thanks CGARBEE for all the info in your post!
I have looked through various posts to get a handle on these trailers. The pics and info you have given is a great help.
All considered, I think I will keep looking for an M101A2 as it is surge braked but as important is the fact that they have 8 stud wheels which would be compatible with my M1008.

HarleyFLHP103

Sorry for bringing up an old post but I am currently looking inot buying a M101A3 for yard work and hauling my ATV. I was very interested in the dumping feature. As I haven't picked up a trailer yet, I wanted to gather as much info as I can before I purchase one.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It isnt a dumping feature. The trailer was never designed to do this. Can it, yes, but it wasnt part of the plan when the trailer was designed. The "dumping" part where the bolts are is actually there to make swaping out beds much easier for repair/replacement. It's in the TM.

86m1028

We've covered this before (so do some searches and see if you can find a more concise set of answers...)... But, off the top of my head:

M101: Five lug rims (Budd, 6.50Hx16, same as on the M37 familly of 3/4 ton trucks), 900x16 tires, brake handles have the "squeeze" trigger release and are mounted so that the move in an arc paralell to the front bed panel. Parking brakes only.
M101A1: Same as the M101 except the parking brake handles are the flip type and move in an arc perpendicular to the front bed panel.
M101A2: Surge brakes in addition to the mechancal parking brakes, hubs and rims/tires changed to match those on the Chevy CUCV's.
M101A3: Same as the M101A2 except the hubs and rims/tires changed to match the HMMWV.

Lights have been changed over the years and followed the arrangement that was on the designated towing vehicle at the time, so they have evolved from the little "cat eye" round lenses to the larger composit units and have gone from having only one service stop/tail light to two, ect... Lighting is an easy upgrade, so its commom to find a M101 with composit lights...

Not sure when the rear prop leg became standard. I've had M101's with one almost as often as I've had them without (although I have to admit that those that I've had with them seem to have been used as generator trailers...), just about every M101A1 that I've had or looked at had one... I haven't looked at M101A2's and M101A3's enough to make a definitive comment, but my guess would be that they would have one... They can be bolted on or removed quite easily, so retrofitting a trailer that does not have one is easilly done, and is very handy to have if you like to jump in the trailer when it is not hitched to a truck as it prevents it from tipping back on you (and dumping out your camping equipment for instance...).

Photos of my 1960 M101 3/4 ton trailer
Photos of a M101A1 3/4 ton trailer

Photos 115-119 on the 2005 East Coast Convoy page on my website show a M101A2 trailer:
East Coast Convoy and East Coast Rally

Both my M101 and M101A1 will dump if you pop the pins, unhook the wiring from the tub, and (as FrankUSMC reminds us) chain the tailgate up so you don't bend it... Not something that is mentioned in the TM, but something that can, and is, done... :) I suspect that dumping a M101A2 or M101A3 would be just as easy since they are essentially the same trailers except for the axles (hub/rim/tires)...

Good luck.
Thanks for this post

I also want to add I have 2 different style A3's
one has narrow bed & no fender extensions
the other is wide bed with fender extentions

1954m37

M101 trailer

http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos9.htm
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos16.htm

http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos42.htm

Good luck.
I see that in one of your pictures there is a sticker for Toolie army depot, that is in my neck of the woods.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks