• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Trailer

comdiver

I just won an M101 trailer that I need to pick up next week. Does anyone know the ID of the lunette ring. I may use a ball hitch adapter to tow it home. I couldn't find a manual for it only the newer m101a series trailer, is it there?

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3" I believe for the ID of the hole. I think the ring is 2" OD (the thickness of the stock). Large enough to fit your ball/pintle combo (if that's what you are using. It wasn't clear). They will fit just about any pintle hook you are likely to use to retrieve.

TOG 5

On my M 101 its 3 3/16's and on my M 416 its a bit smaller by a 1/8.
Depends on which company manufactured them and what year but as a rule of thumb their all about the same.
Just a FYI and probably something you all ready know, the 101 is different then a 416's in how its made and shouldn't be interchanged due to the difference in the landing leg/receiver housing. :-D

3dubs

TIRES!!!!!
I went and got a trailer earlier this month and the tires looked great. I checked for cracks to see if it was dry rotted and they looked good. Only made it maybe 15 miles before they flew apart. They held air so we drove 35MPH to the next town. Also if you are using a civi truck the trailer lights would be dim if you got an adapter. I picked up some magnetic tow lights. The work with 12V so you do not have to worry about lights. When my tires flew apart they ripped the magnetic lights off. When you start driving recheck the tires within a couple miles. Find out where the nearest tire shop is on your way home just in case.

RKBA

Member RKBA in new jersey has some M101 parts listed in the classisied section, and I think he had a lunette, was a few months ago
Hey, Hey now. It's Maryland that I am currently exiled to - don't put me any farther north than I am right now!!

Three more years......

Nonotagain

Hey, Hey now. It's Maryland that I am currently exiled to - don't put me any farther north than I am right now!!

Three more years......
Less than two years and counting here.

I use a pintle/ball conbination made by Reese and their pintle adaptor plate with grade 8 hardware.

As for magnetic tow lights... Check them out before the trip. I purchased two sets that were both wired wrong. The first set was from Harbor Freight and the second set was from Autozone. The brake and running lights were wired backwards. A third set from Northern Tool were wired correctly.

Lower the tail gate on the trailer and place the lights just inside the bed on a nice flat surface. If needed you could always use tape to keep the from moving around. You will have less drag when pulling the trailer with the tail gate down.

RKBA

Ah yes, The Peoples Republic of Maryland. We have the best politicians money can buy. Maybe you'll get time off for good behavior. :roll:
While I do not wish to disparage this cute little state in a public forum, suffice it to say that I am anxious for my final obligation to this nation to be over in 2012 and make a beeline to where my Lone Star State license plates will no longer be lonely.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for magnetic tow lights... Check them out before the trip. I purchased two sets that were both wired wrong. The first set was from Harbor Freight and the second set was from Autozone. The brake and running lights were wired backwards. A third set from Northern Tool were wired correctly.
This seems to be a common problem. Folks, $20 towing lights are just that, $20 towing lights. My next set will be fabricated here or come right from AW Direct.

comdiver

Picked it up yesterday. It was a long day. Almost 4 hours each way. The trailer towed wonderfully behind my 4 cylinder Sonoma. Here are some pictures. Now you know why I needed the ID of the ring. My little truck doesn't have a class 3 hitch so my options were limited.

Attachments

comdiver

It came with the new tires. Tows great! Notice I used lots of cable ties. They work great for everything. Comming home I needed to make a restroom stop. Wouldn't you know, I pulled into a rest stop and parked next to a tractor trailer. It turns out he was having an inspection by the State Police. I was very happy to leave unnoticed. I don't know if he would like my wire tied on plate and whatever else.

Last edited:

comdiver

The tires are LT235/85-16, almost new. I borrowed the hitch adapater from a construction rental yard. They offer them for compressors. I have plans to make one. I just cut a 1" piece of sch 80 2" pipe to go through the ring. I will weld this to a chunk of 3" channel and bolt a hitch on. Pictures to follow.