• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 1600 mile road trip

Spence

I picked up an M1010 CUCV this past spring. After adding an alternator, working on the wiring, replacing the fuel lines, and tying up some loose ends, I have been daily driving it. I don’t mind cruising at 50 on the highway. I added some camping supplies to the box and have taken it camping a few times. For the Thanksgiving holiday, I plan to visit my family, which means a drive from Massachusetts to Virginia and back. They live in the southwestern tip of the state (Appalachian mountain region) 800+ miles away. My plan is to avoid the I81 corridor and cities and head inland and down. Looking at camping at a midpoint in PA each direction, then camping in the box while in VA for the week. I’m looking forward to sharing the trip with y’all!

Adding a photo of the M1010 at a campground and another of it getting towed before I figured out thefuel lines had a leak letting air in. More pics to come!

Attachments

87cr250r

I've done 800 miles in 1 day in my M1008. It was pouring rain. I was driving though Oregon which has 3 trailer trucks. I could pass them on the uphill but they would pass me on the downhill. Couldn't see see anything when they were next to me which happened regularly. Interesting trip.

If you're not in a hurry these trucks will take you wherever you want to be. Have fun

Spence

I've done 800 miles in 1 day in my M1008. It was pouring rain. I was driving though Oregon which has 3 trailer trucks. I could pass them on the uphill but they would pass me on the downhill. Couldn't see see anything when they were next to me which happened regularly. Interesting trip.

If you're not in a hurry these trucks will take you wherever you want to be. Have fun
Thanks! I will apply a fresh coat of Rain X before the trip now that you mentioned your experience.

Spence

Sounds like a fun adventure. It seems that the area of the country you will be traveling in has a member of this forum every other square mile. Or more. Enjoy.
I was considering dropping by Hillbilly Wizard along the way to pick up some bits, time permitting. May make some friends if things start to break. Ha!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished recovering my 915 Saturday 500 miles and I can guarantee you your CUCV will ride better but I still have smile on my face.

Spence

I just finished recovering my 915 Saturday 500 miles and I can guarantee you your CUCV will ride better but I still have smile on my face.
My wife tells me every day “That vehicle is not a daily driver.” My trips to and from work and everywhere else I go says otherwise! I love driving this thing!

Spence

I worked on the truck all day last Friday, then the heater stopped working Saturday morning. I found a wire to the blower motor had fatigued into. A quick job with my butane soldering iron and the heater works again. Yesterday, I couldn’t get the truck to start and eventually found that the bolts on one of my battery terminals was loose. Fixed that and it runs again.

A previous owner installed a glow plug relay with a switch under the dash. The power is tapped from the fuse block. The spade terminal came out while I was diagnosing the no start and I couldn’t figure out which of the positions they were using. After trying the spots on the driver’s side of the fuse block without any luck with the key on, I found a spot that allows the switch to work when pulling the power from the driver’s side of where a fuse would go.

My wife bought me AAA. I hope I don’t need it. Should be a fun trip.

Spence

Made it back! 1700 mile round trip. I drove to Bald Eagle State Forest to camp on the way down. I entered Bald Eagle State Forest into my GPS and started driving.

Once I was close to my “destination,” I was routed off the highway and up a dirt road on a mountain. The road started getting narrow, with a drop on one side and hill to the other. Once the road turned to ruts and trees were encroaching on my passage, I knew this was not the RV park I was going to. However, I had nowhere to turn. Cell service was long obsolete.

I turned on my light bar to see better and found a wide spot to turn around. With a 10 point or so turn, complete with bending my rear license plate and breaking off a corner of a taillight, I was on my way back out. After a while, I turned off the light bar to find that I had nearly depleted my batteries. Headlights were dim and yellow. I guess I chose a good time to turn off the light bar.

Once I had cell service again, I pulled up my reservation and entered the address. Should have done that from the start. 30 more miles. I made it to the campground and promptly got some sleep.

The next morning, the truck was covered in frost. I looked over the engine and found that the fan/water pump/alternator belt was getting a bit loose and wearing a spot thin. I decided to just keep an eye on it each time I stop.

Since my heater core is clogged and generates no heat, I used my buddy heater to defrost while the truck warmed up. It worked great and I was on the road again. The belt didn’t get much worse, but I double-checked that I had my new spare should I need it. I made it to Virginia in 930 miles total. 22 hours over two days.

I spent time with my family for the week and planned to replace the belt before leaving. I wasn’t looking forward to it, as it is so tight when new that I have to remove all the bolts from the alternator and getting the two pivot bolts to start has taken me a long time when I do it. So I did the “smart” thing and just hoped it would hold for the trip back home. Also while at my family’s house, the spare tire fell off in the driveway, pole vaulting the back up and bending the top step. I placed the spare in the ambulance box and tied up the bracket. I need to clean up the mounting hardware, as the rusty threads

I decided to take the more direct i81 route back up and push for 1 day. The belt continued wearing and I knew it was only time, so I stopped every 100 miles to check it. Finally when I got to Easton PA, I heard the belt let go. I was fortunate that nothing was hurt. Pulled into a fuel station parking lot and got to installing the new one. The gearhead gods must have been smiling upon me, as I was able to have it done in about 10 minutes. I got back on the road, now confident I would make it.

The Merritt Parkway was a bit dicey. The barriers made for some tight situations. However, I made it all the way back home at 3 AM, 20 hours total. Average MPG was about 17. My speed was almost always at 52 MPH. I don’t think a few truckers were too enthused, as they would bright light me and beep their horns as they went past. Though I always kept to the right most lane to allow them to pass.

The drive up was 1 hour longer than my previous longest drive. I was amazed that I didn’t get tired at all, but had planned to stop if I did. I guess the sonic assault of a CUCV at highway speeds keeps you wide awake. I Showered and fell asleep as soon as I hit the bed.

Now onto fixing and improving the stuff that broke and was identified during the trip. I have new u-joints, wheel bearings, and picked up a sink and countertop while in Virginia. I also need to put a new heater core in and figure out what is causing that belt to wear so quickly. It jumps a lot and I have noticed this on other M1010s in videos. Maybe adding a tensioner would help.

I wanted to get better pics, but was rushed to get to where I was going. Planning todo better on future trips.

Attachments

Jake2670

Hello from AR, hope she is still running well. if your ever down this way, drop me a line. getting mine ready for 1st outing, she made run from MO down here good :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks