• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 Adventures

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 Adventure for the Vets.

More pics,

The picture of the cross-hairs is the gun-site of the Humber Mark IV

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nick

The beautiful Dodge in the photos, commemorates our Canadians that have not come home from our most recent deployments. My neighbour and friend, Nick Bulger is among those that we will never forget.

It was a great surprise to see the truck and learn of the support network of contractors that put the two commemorative trucks together.

Another Thank You, to all that serve.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whitecourt Airshow

The 1010 had a 800 mile adventure last weekend playing nose gunner for a collector convoy to Whitecourt for a Hometown Heroes Air Show.
Hometown Heroes –

While prepping for her typical 'tail gunner' role, being the fastest MV in the fleet, I went to A Sign Promotions 5 days before convoy and asked for a Convoy Ahead sign.

A Sign Promotion is your one-stop shop for all your signage & graphic needs! pulled off the impossible and printed a very loud sign to hang on the back of the tail gunner vehicle. I paid $80.00 for some peace of mind.

Two minutes before the convoy headed out I was asked if I knew where Whitecourt was and immediately assigned to nose gunner position. The convoy commander passed me a radio, gave me a list of responsibilities and before I drank a coffee, was leading a 20+ truck convoy onto the 100kph Yellowhead Trail.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whitecourt Airshow

After one break at a Rest Stop South of Valleyview, we met one of the organizers riding a Command Car and followed him to a marshaling area. The team mounted flags, guns and patiently waited for the word to fire up and roll.

It was a long wait, with several false starts, an emergency where an ambulance needed to roll out from behind the staged MV's and marchers on foot sucking diesel fumes from a Bedford. After all the waiting and confusion, not a single complaint came from the participants who donated their time and MV's and made the event an overwhelming, positive success.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whitecourt Airshow

The Canadian Snowbirds put on an amazing display to the backdrop of Alberta's blackening skies. They were shut down early and by the time the last photo was taken, returned to the ramp waiting for the rain.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whitecourt Airshow

Most of our local MVPA camped or hit the hotel for a second day of static display.

The organizers asked if we could do a second parade so we pulled the display and lined up for another tour down the ramp. With clear skies and fabulous organization we led the march to another 1010 adventure.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whitecourt to Dawson Creek

With the ALCAN starting point only 255 miles away, the 1010 decided she wanted to go all the way and had the opportunity to convoy with a Bedford and a 5 ton to Dawson Creek.

We stopped for food in Grande Prairie and found a typical photo op' taking the MV out to shop for maternity clothing.

We located a couple of 5 tons after talking to the Campground Manager and checking with the homeowner for viewing permission.

The campground was located next to one of the US repeater stations which was built near mile '0' of the Alaska highway.

With night setting in the boys hung a white shower curtain on the back of the 1010, set up a sound system and played army movies because we had not looked at enough green iron yet.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dawson Creek to Edmonton

The 1986 M1010 and the 6.2 ran flawlessly for the entire 800 mile run. Highest temps peaked 212 F on a long hill but typically ran at 200 F.

Fuel mileage averaged 16mpg on the one day, 400 mile return trip from Dawson Creek to Edmonton. We ran at 50 mph for most of the trip with the 1010 stretching to 60mph whenever it wanted to.

After being harassed about the rims on the 1010 and seeing the original set-up on this original one waiting for the convoy, I think the 1010 will adventure back to black.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 and the Kids Camp

The 1010 has been working at a kids camp trying to save one of the lower buildings next to the Sturgeon river.

For decades the basement has flooded and the owner has pumped it out. I was given the fix it order and we spent a day creating positive drainage away from foundation and ditching the back of the property to the front.

While waiting for a utility locate to find a gas-line before adding a culvert to complete the 'swale', I took advantage of the grades to stretch the 1010 for a photo op.

That night mother nature showed the volume of water that, for decades, would flow into the 8' deep basement. The ditch picked up all the water from 5 acres of area above the house and....dumped it into the ditch just like it was supposed to.

Fortunately, I did not leave the 1010 in her stretch position over-night. She would have been pi$$ed off sitting in 4' of water. After pumping for a few hours we got all the water out, just in time for another bad storm today.

Quack quack.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 flood of 2012

Another storm late yesterday with pea to golf ball size hail, heavy rain, lightning starting a house fire and flooded fields. Crazy, fast, isolated storms that dump hail, then more water then the ditches or city drains can handle. The ditch we pumped yesterday filled again and the M1010 went back to work hauling gear to do it all over.

A couple of shots out the window of the M1010 and a very wet job site.

Quack quack.

Attachments

Keith_J

The aluminum wheels are a bit garish. Almost like a Josephine wearing bright red lipstick while in woodland BDUs. Sorry, a pet peeve of mine from my service days. If you are going to CLASH, make it the album Combat Rock.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks