• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 alternator mounting question

87J

My truck was converted to a single 12v alternator before I bought it using the upper mount. I'm looking to add a 24v to the lower mount to run a big inverter. The upper mount is 7 7/8" spread between holes and the lower is 8 1/2". So I'm guessing the original use 2 different size alts or I'm missing some kind of adjustable bracket??? I already have a 24v alternator with the 7 7/8" spread, is there bracket available to make this work or do I just get alternator with the wider spread?

m38inmaine

The original bracket is a one piece unit. You can buy a 12v alternator that fits in the original bracket but I don't know if they have done that on yours. Post up a picture of yours.

87J

Still a 1 piece bracket. So originally the lower alternator was a larger framed 24v and the upper was a smaller 12v right?

Skinny

I can't remember clearly off the top of my head but I replaced both of mine with a Leece 555-JHO. They required some grinding on the case to fit but the spread was the same on both areas. I do remember the physical bracket to engine block having a spacer on mine for the lower mount. Maybe yours was removed causing a spread difference. It has been awhile since I've looked at that system so someone may chime in with better details.

riggermedic

The lower alt adjusts tighter swinging downward while the upper tightens the belt swinging upwards. They are identical as far as I know. If you install the 12 volt 555 jho as mentioned above you may need to modify your bracket a bit. The original alt is completely round, the 12 volt has a protrusion that bumps the bracket and cuts your adjustment range down a little bit.

87J

I think I found my issue, looks like someone slit, bent and half ass rewelded the bracket to fit the smaller frame 22si/24si up top. What you guys think is it shaped slightly different than its supposed to be?

DSCF4380.jpg

m38inmaine

Since it's not cut all the way through and the curves/angles look right I would say it might have been a sloppy "crack" repair.