• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 ambulance box build reference

cucvrus

You must buy the entire body. I am NOT having any part in cutting it apart. I will sell it delivered if we can come to a deal. Do you have a tree/truck to drag it off the trailer? Get back to me. No hurry my schedule is full till the first week of November.

kapnklug

Sure, entire body is fine, maybe one with good roof & bad deck if that exists, since I only want the top. I have a car-hauler double-axle trailer, i'll come get it. PM me with price/options.

cucvrus

No bad decks. This is a complete extrerior M1010. The inside has been altered with the bunks removed. I use it for storage. You PM me an offer and I will see if it makes my efforts worth while. I will need to hire a wrecker to load it. But I will let the price up to you.

KamikazeKunze

Here‘s a few updated pics of the old girl. I’m definitley considering a roof raise. Grind and drill out all of the rivots, use a drywall lift to push the top up and build a set of pony walls out a steel studs. Going for 12” finished. Keep the doors as they are.

has anyone ever successfully popped their M1010 top?

Attachments

chevymike

I have wanted to do a raised/popup roof since I had my first 1010. Not sure how easy it would be. Only pic I have run across with a popup was this one. I think it was in Europe.

24e3sr6.jpg

kapnklug

Here‘s a few updated pics of the old girl. I’m definitley considering a roof raise. Grind and drill out all of the rivots, use a drywall lift to push the top up and build a set of pony walls out a steel studs. Going for 12” finished. Keep the doors as they are.

I'm in the pencil & paper stage of raising the roof on mine. I don't want to weaken the wall studs/top plate, so my plan (someone, talk me down!) is to:
1. remove the rivets & skin on the roof
2. supporting the roof from inside with (4) ceiling jacks, sawzall thru the rafters & ridgebeam flush inside the top plate
3. lift the separated roof structure (like a fish skeleton) up 8" or so
4. fabricate one additional rafter at each end of the ridgebeam from aluminum 1.5" square tube. Will need to copy the pitch of the original rafters.
5. weld a 9' length of aluminum 1.5" square tube to the cutoff ends of the rafters (one per side), connecting them all (perimeter on all sides now)
6. weld short diagonal rafters from on top of the original top plate (half-round profile) to this new top plate (square profile) on all (4) sides
7. skin with 4x8 sheets of thin aluminum diamondplate, held at the edges by the rivets that currently hold the rain gutters
8. Tack weld the diamondplate to the rafters from the inside.

Suggestions???

kapnklug

I have wanted to do a raised/popup roof since I had my first 1010. Not sure how easy it would be. Only pic I have run across with a popup was this one. I think it was in Europe.

View attachment 790997
Is that a slide-out??? or just a gaint box? That's nuts. Looks like he's converted to dually axles too.
Interesting roof idea, maybe I can find the roof off an old VW Westfalia....

chevymike

Is that a slide-out??? or just a gaint box? That's nuts. Looks like he's converted to dually axles too.
Interesting roof idea, maybe I can find the roof off an old VW Westfalia....
yeah, they added a slide out with the pop top. Wish I could find interior shots.

kapnklug

Hey Kamikaze, i've got that EXACT same sofabed, mounted in the same spot in my m1010! Except I kept the bench & bolted it to the top. Is that a bathroom foreward of the sofabed? I'd be interested in seeing some pics of how you worked that out...

KamikazeKunze

Hey Kamikaze, i've got that EXACT same sofabed, mounted in the same spot in my m1010! Except I kept the bench & bolted it to the top. Is that a bathroom foreward of the sofabed? I'd be interested in seeing some pics of how you worked that out...
Awesome! Yes, closet/bathroom. I have a cassette toilet in it with a tilt up shelf. But plan on making a slide out for the toilet. when I raise the roof I’ll make it a shower too.

My thoughts are to keep the roof totally intact. Drill out all the rivots in an out raise the whole unit. The trick is going to be securing the “top plate” to the existing Z bar studs. Then steel stud pony walls and belly band the outside and set the roof back down......unless I’m being dense about it and you all have a better way. I plan on overlapping the exterior sheeting as well. The real trick is sourcing the steel exterior corners so they match outside.

Attachments

Last edited:

jamesgrizzlyadams

If you guys have instagram.. check out @freedom_from_routine

I believe he lives full time in his M1010, and is in the process of building out an extension to the roof including a cab-over.
Last photo I saw on his instagram story he had cut the whole roof off and had started framing up the new roof/extension.

I think he's here on SS as well, but unsure if he's got a build thread or anything.

He's just started up a camper fit-out/conversion company as well:

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1605108260428.png
This thread is soo helpful!!! Can anyone tell me if you can pass anything behind the plate between the studs in the last bay. Looking to fish a wire up from the heater box opening up the wall... Thanks is advance!!!

cruzer747

View attachment 817982
This thread is soo helpful!!! Can anyone tell me if you can pass anything behind the plate between the studs in the last bay. Looking to fish a wire up from the heater box opening up the wall... Thanks is advance!!!
002.JPG

yes, iirc there is a gap behind the entire plate less than an inch so if you slide on the outer skin you should be able to make it.

Last edited:

469Ecdr

I found a build for[B] [/B]Kamikazi's Rompulance on expedition portal. A link follows.

cruzer747

That is impressive! So having taken my m1010 down some somewhat dense wooded trails, while I do wish there was more headroom, I can not say how many times I have gritted my teeth while abusing the top of the box and especially my solar panels (I really need to make a deflecter and some safety rails for brush/limbs, last trip I thought for sure I had busted one). Anyways, just had to say, neat! Will be interesting to see what the owner's feedback is and how they use it. I have air suspension on my wishlist as the stock roll is more than I would like, cant imagine what it would feel like in that thing!

I found a build for[B] [/B]Kamikazi's Rompulance on expedition portal. A link follows.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks