• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 AMBULANCE

cobra

Is there any way to take off the ambulance back off, and put a regular truck bed in the bed? Also is it possible to make it a dually? any comment/suggestions/ideas, would be very helpfull, thank you..

dilvoy

It should be relativly easy. I think the wheel base is the same as the pick up. The pick up bed bolts through holes in the frame and those should be there. I think you'll have some trimming at the rear end of the frame if you're going to install a pick up truck bumper and the dually axle is just a parts swap. The dana 70HD has four inch thick axle tubes compared to the three and a half inch for the 14 bolt axle, so you'll need the attach hardware for it, unless you are going keep the 14 bolt and install wheel adaptors. That makes things easy for you.

pitbull

The dual wheels should go on the 14 bolt without any adapters but the front end will need different hubs(longer dually style) to fit the dually wheels. you should be able to see where the frame was extended in the rear. I have a flat deck on mine and find the steps on the back very handy! Dustin

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cobra said:
Is there any way to take off the ambulance back off, and put a regular truck bed in the bed? Also is it possible to make it a dually? any comment/suggestions/ideas, would be very helpfull, thank you..
The frame is the same and will accept a regular bed. You will need to cut/remove and block off the fuel lines that went to the rear heater. You will also need to seal up the hole in the back of the cab, and you'll probably want to add a window while you're at it. I'd probably see if I could find a regular M1008 cab to use instead....

Correct dually conversion involves gettng a 4.56 geared Dana 70HD and a rear sway bar setup. They are almost the same as civilian dually K30's of the same era. As was pointed out, the axle tubes are 4", so you would need new lower U-bolt saddles. You would also need the sway bar brackets, washers/spacers and longer U-bolts.

If you stick with the stock rear, you will need to use spacers on the drums to have the wheels properly positioned in the wheelwell because the stock 14-bolt has a narower track than the dually Dana. Military duallys also used the same LT235/85R16 tires as the regular M1028/M1008 (instead of the LT215/85R16's used on civilian trucks) and therefore used a spacer between the 2 wheels as well. The spacer is needed to keep the rear tires from rubbing while driving heavily loaded or cross country. The spacer is about 5/8"-3/4" thick and the wheelstuds of the military Dana 70HD are extra long to accomodate it. While you can use the stock rear with dually wheels and no spacers, you will probably need to install longer wheel studs to mount the 2 wheels and clamp ring. The wheels will not be positioned properly in the wheel well and the wheel studs are definitely not long enough to fit the spacer between the wheels.

Finding a civilian K30 dually rear is probably just as cost effective as making something. If you are not sticking with correct military, then a 14-bolt dually rear from an '88 -'98 should fit. The tube diameter is slightly larger, so you should get the correct U-bolt saddles as well for that rear.

Let us know what route you take! Good Luck!

cobra

RE: Re: M1010 AMBULANCE

Went to A.S.U.(army supply unit) Toronto today, turns out they have a dually bed in storage, so a short forklift ride later, and 250 bucks, got one major component.Still looking for more parts, will keep you informed.

Thanks All, it is greatly appreciated

p.s. do the us. cucv vs. the canadian cucv, have the knob the floor?

dilvoy

Cobra, I bought an NOS surplus military dually rear axle assy from a guy in Kansas. I think his business name is B R Trucks or something similar to that. It was the perfect item for my comversion as it had the 4.56 gearing and detroit locker and wide rear wheel spacing as compared to the narrow arrangement that my vehicle had. At the time I bought mine he had another one, maybe he still has it.