• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1010 Body Modification

Ignus

I live in Minnesota, and not to far from me there is a fire truck yellow m1010 with NO rust. The price is great, but the thing is I have no use at all for an ambulance and I would rather convert it to a flatbed [Forgive the sacrilege.] Does anyone know how hard it is to get take off the ambulance portion? Anyone interested in it if I buy the truck?

m38inmaine

I took the body off one I had and replaced it with a pickup bed. Just drill out the rivets on the gasket between the cab and body and remove the doorway ramp. Unhook any extra wiring going to the rear as well as the extra fuel line for the heater. Unbolt the body and remove. The frame is extended but with a flatbed it won't matter. Next you will have to piece in the rear of the cab where the door was, I used an old donor chevy and cut the piece out of the back of the cab. The box makes a handy storage building.

niferous

I think you would more than likely find someone with a regular CUCV body that would be willing wo trade you. Heck if I was closer I would not only trade you I would do all the work! This way you don't have to find a donor and do all that cutting and welding, etc.

Ignus

I read that entire thread, that is one cool truck..... I plan on lifting whatever CUCV I get but only by 4 inches... Is that enough for H1 tires? Speaking of the H1 tires are they any good in the snow? Been a cold icy winter so far... I don't really do any off road except for some slow crawls to bee hives on flat land. Lift would be for cruising RPM. Don't plan on driving over 55 but I'd like to get the 55rpm down for gas mileage.

K9Vic

Find a M1008 to trade it for, less work for you and one more M1010 saved from the scrap heap
So how rare are M1010 then?
Would it be best to not hack up a M1010 and just beef up a M1008?

I know I see tons of pickups and blazer, but few M1010 even on the net for pictures. I just got a M1010 last month after a friend pointed it out to me for sale at a local auction. I know there are two, maybe three M1008 in my general area, with in a mile of me.

Pawnshop

So how rare are M1010 then?
Would it be best to not hack up a M1010 and just beef up a M1008?

I know I see tons of pickups and blazer, but few M1010 even on the net for pictures. I just got a M1010 last month after a friend pointed it out to me for sale at a local auction. I know there are two, maybe three M1008 in my general area, with in a mile of me.
There's your answer! The M1010 is much less common than the M1008 and M1009, and if what you really want is a pickup truck then pick up on one of those M1008 in your area. I'm sure you could resell the M1010 in the classifieds here or on eBay. AND the amount of work required to convert an ambulance to a truck is not necessary if you can just buy a truck!

Crash_AF

The M1010 is not any heavier duty than a standard M1008, and they have the problematic DUVAC charging system to boot.

As others have said, if you really want a CUCV pickup, get a pickup. If you end up not getting the ambulance, please pass the info along so someone who wants a 1010 can get it. I know I'd love to have it, but MN is a little far from CO... LOL

Later,
Joe

jsrovers

I live in Minnesota, and not to far from me there is a fire truck yellow m1010 with NO rust. The price is great, but the thing is I have no use at all for an ambulance and I would rather convert it to a flatbed [Forgive the sacrilege.] Does anyone know how hard it is to get take off the ambulance portion? Anyone interested in it if I buy the truck?
I know the truck you are talking about. When I was looking to buy one I came across that vehicle. Talk to him about the starting issues he is having. I couldnt determine if it was majorr or minor. My opinion would be to buy a regular CUCV that already has a pickup bed. Seems like a lot of work and wasted time stripping it all down and rebuilding it, so to speak.

Ignus

I'm gonna keep looking for an m1008, thanx for the advice. I might buy it [m1010] to resell it but the trouble is so many of you guys are so far from Minnesota... If it is TRULY rust free its probably worth okay moniez even with a starting issue, rust is forever. The listing states it has new batteries and is stock so I am assuming that it has a crappy DUVAC system which = drive battery draining.

highrider1345

i am in the middle of doing that right now and actually i think i might have bought that truck you are lookin at but ive ran into problems with it shorting out somewhere after i removed the ambulance and welded in the cab and put glass in im in mn too

highrider1345

oh yea you will need a forklift with fork extentions to get the ambulance back off it i removed my ambulance back at a warehouse with forklifts cus it wouldnt fit into my shop door with the back on it was like 6 inches too tall

doodaa

I have an M1010 and converted to dump bed it wasn't all that difficult.I strung a cable between 2 big oak trees and pulled tight with a truck and used a chain fall to hoist off weighs about 1000# and the 12V conversion was a breeze.I was going to leave frame long and put tool box between bed and cab but didn't like the look of the bed and weight being that far back as this old girl is getting put back to work hauling firewood and whatever else she needs to.as for the hole in cab I used lexan to fill hole actuallt 2 pieces one 6"strip at bottom to use to bring wires into cab from hoist motor.It's pretty cool to look over your shoulder and see the pavement go by