• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 Box Heater

leisman7

My heater for the rear box is not working properly. It starts up for a moment then nothing. The fan continues to run but no heat. I think that the fuel pump for the unit is shot but not sure. Does anyone have any information or any ideas? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

aboonski

My buddy Lavarok had that same problem and found a fuel shutoff valve somewhere under the truck by the heater or in where the heater is located. Once he turned that on, the heater worked fine and it sure puts out the heat too!

leisman7

Thank you, i think i found that and it was located under the truck directlry under the heating unit. It looked like a valve, i turned it with no positive results, still not working. Where is the fuel pump located for this unit?

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easy enough to find out if it's pumping fuel. Disconnect the line going into the burner unit and then turn the heater on. If it's pumping it'll come out there (note it's a good way to drain your fuel tank if needed too). There are also 2 fuel filters - one at the burner unit and one on the driver's side of the firewall - check both of those to make sure there are no obstructions.

lavarok

The fuel pump should be under the hood near driver side firewall. If it works, you will hear it click when running.
Lift the hood and try to run the heater, have someone listen for clicking.

The suppressor diodes between the pump and "hot" can also go bad. This happened on mine after using the heater a few times.
A quick bypass of the diodes told me my pump was still good, so I rewired the pump minus the diodes and voila.

My truck has two valves under the heater, one for a drain valve and one for supply to heater.

Start with the pump check and then proceed to check valves if the pump is working. The fuel filter for the engine is not used for the heater, so don't even bother messing with it. The only filter is in the heater assembly.

The fuel line for the heater branches from the main line under the passenger side frame rail beneath the cab. From there it goes to the electric pump, then back to the heater.

lavarok

One more thing, the fuel filter on the heater is in a canister and is ceramic if I recall. You can clean it and reinistall. Stock replacements can be found as the same setup is used on some aircraft and other applications.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel filter for the engine is not used for the heater, so don't even bother messing with it. The only filter is in the heater assembly.
My mistake. I was thinking there was one incorporated in the bottom of the heater fuel pump not the actual engine fuel filter.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lavarok thanks alot for the words. Im gonna get this figured out as soon as possible. Stayed up in the mountains out in washington last weekd froze my nuts off.
Wish I'd had mine when we were up there. Spent too many nights camping in ID in the SUMMER freezing said parts off. I can't imagine what it's like out there with the snow you've all been getting.

aboonski

Glad that Lavarok chimed in because he is amazing when it comes to troubleshooting. His M1010 heater will run you out of the truck it works so well! I would love to get one of them to heat my garage for my cats!

leisman7

The fuel pump should be under the hood near driver side firewall. If it works, you will hear it click when running.
Lift the hood and try to run the heater, have someone listen for clicking.

The suppressor diodes between the pump and "hot" can also go bad. This happened on mine after using the heater a few times.
A quick bypass of the diodes told me my pump was still good, so I rewired the pump minus the diodes and voila.

My truck has two valves under the heater, one for a drain valve and one for supply to heater.

Start with the pump check and then proceed to check valves if the pump is working. The fuel filter for the engine is not used for the heater, so don't even bother messing with it. The only filter is in the heater assembly.

The fuel line for the heater branches from the main line under the passenger side frame rail beneath the cab. From there it goes to the electric pump, then back to the heater.
Lavarok it turns out my diode went bad. Is there a replacement diode you recomend? What is the function of this diode?

lavarok

I believe all the diodes are for noise suppression in the electrical system. You should be able to cut it out and splice the remaining wires together without any ill affects.

leisman7

I like the heater it works great, however i dont like that i have to run the truck to run the heater. Burning to much fuel off and kills that batteries if truck is off. I would like to use the exiting heater and use a 24 volt house battery system and its own fuel source. Im just wondering if any has or if its even possible to convert this heater to propane?
Why go to propane? The truck already has a diesel tank.

Last edited:

lavarok

Interesting, I've never noticed batteries going dead while running the heater. Then again, I live in FL and have never run it for more than 15-20 minutes at a time.

It would seem to me the fan is the culprit for energy draw, not the aux fuel pump. So why not go with your idea to add the extra batteries, but still use diesel? There is plenty of room under the passenger bench for extra batteries.

leisman7

Im big into snowboarding and snowmobiles, majority of my overnights are out in the mountains in washnington. I just got done gutting the ac unit and welded in an extra support frame and made a battery bank with two golf cart batteries, currenty they are supply power to my amps, sub, Deck and speakers. I agree the fan is hitting the batteries hard. I was thinking about getting a mr. buddy propane heater but its such small space and i dont want to croke in the middle of the night from poisoning. I love the exhausted system the current stock heater offers. I like the idea of not using and power or fuel from the truck, sometimes im miles away from any civilization and dont need to get stuck out there. I was thinking about instaling a military deisel vented space heater but space is an issue.
Interesting, I've never noticed batteries going dead while running the heater. Then again, I live in FL and have never run it for more than 15-20 minutes at a time.

It would seem to me the fan is the culprit for energy draw, not the aux fuel pump. So why not go with your idea to add the extra batteries, but still use diesel? There is plenty of room under the passenger bench for extra batteries.

Attachments