• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 conversion to Expedition Vehicle??

Dozer11B

Anyone done this yet? I think once gutted and maybe with a few windows put in, this could be a pretty self-sustainable vehicle.

-GPS
-On-board air
-Spare parts
-Cooking
-Etc, etc.......

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do go this route, keep us informed. I've been wanting an M1010, but have heard they had issues with electrical. This is because they have only one alternator and an A/C compressor on the drivers side.

But I could be wrong. Hopefully someone with an M1010 will speak up to let you know what's the positives and negatives.

m38inmaine

They had two 24v alt and a black box to run the 12/24 which gave problems. I had a M1010 and it is possible to outfit the back pretty well but the truck is fairly heavy and not sure how well it would do off road and the low gearing gets old fast.

CDN-CUCV

I had this idea myself for a M1010 w/ 19K miles I was looking to pick up but passed on the deal in the end.

However, I thought a turbo, Axletech International Motorsports portal axles, overdrive transmission plus some ambulance body modification including some more ventilation, windows, lay-out for sleep/cooking/storage plus a modified hydrallic tailgate set-up to aid loading as well as a the extra sq. ft.age for 'deck' space. Maybe someone else will build it now this way...:wink:

tourdog

great idea i to have a m1010 i use it everyday i took the body off to put a flat bed on but have used the body as a camper (once) at the maine rally slept in it put it on a trialer though my real thought are to build the bed for on off real easy of the bed to take it camping in back woods were i cant take my 28 foot camper . now as for electrical prombles the blue box is the big promble with them can tell you how to get rid of it if you want i did and not had any prombles.

lavarok

If you do go this route, keep us informed. I've been wanting an M1010, but have heard they had issues with electrical. This is because they have only one alternator and an A/C compressor on the drivers side.

But I could be wrong. Hopefully someone with an M1010 will speak up to let you know what's the positives and negatives.
[2] 24v alts on passenger side with a "DUVAC" to supply 12v. Search DUVAC for more info on the device.

The electrical problem with the DUVAC is easily solved and should not be a deterrent to buying a M1010. I love my M1010 and drive it everywhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks