• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 Convoy Truck

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally, started the tear down of my M1010. I bought this truck years ago for use on the MVPA Convoys. Well, 8 years later, I am finally getting the chance to do that. Hopefully, I will have it completed by the next Convoy in October 2024.

Plans are to refurbish the entire vehicle, delete unnecessary items and convert the back into a camper to live out of for a few weeks. The PO had converted the electrical system on the engine to the M0108, M1009, etc system. No big alternators or Duvacs. I plan on having 2 separate power systems, one for the vehicle and the other for the rear portion of the truck.
Engine and transmission will be rebuilt, new springs, shocks, new core support, new radiator, new steering, 2nd fuel tank, upgraded 12 VDC power systems and of course all of the refinements to live in the back. Fridge, heater, heated floor, beds, AC and DC power plants, AC for the front and rear.

I will post progress as it happens. So far, every stinking bolt has been rusted and tight to the last thread! 3 of the 4 cab bolts came out without any issues, the fourth one had to be removed the hard way. Next major job is removing the box from the frame. Hopefully I have the right "toys" to get that completed without incident.

At one time this vehicle had a fire in the engine compartment, there is a considerable amount of melted plastic parts and evidence of an event.

I will say, that the RV Camper Conversion forum has been a good source of information on plans and ideas, so thanks to all that have posted about their camper projects!

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Finally, started the tear down of my M1010. I bought this truck years ago for use on the MVPA Convoys. Well, 8 years later, I am finally getting the chance to do that. Hopefully, I will have it completed by the next Convoy in October 2024.

Plans are to refurbish the entire vehicle, delete unnecessary items and convert the back into a camper to live out of for a few weeks. The PO had converted the electrical system on the engine to the M0118, M1009, etc system. No big alternators or Duvacs. I plan on having 2 separate power systems, one for the vehicle and the other for the rear portion of the truck.
Engine and transmission will be rebuilt, new springs, shocks, new core support, new radiator, new steering, 2nd fuel tank, upgraded 12 VDC power systems and of course all of the refinements to live in the back. Fridge, heater, heated floor, beds, AC and DC power plants, AC for the front and rear.

I will post progress as it happens. So far, every stinking bolt has been rusted and tight to the last thread! 3 of the 4 cab bolts came out without any issues, the fourth one had to be removed the hard way. Next major job is removing the box from the frame. Hopefully I have the right "toys" to get that completed without incident.

At one time this vehicle had a fire in the engine compartment, there is a considerable amount of melted plastic parts and evidence of an event.

I will say, that the RV Camper Conversion forum has been a good source of information on plans and ideas, so thanks to all that have posted about their camper projects!
Looks like you have a nice starting point.
AND a pretty fantastic workspace too!

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Little more progress this week.

Vent windows were removed, installed new rubber seals and painted the metal frames. Removed window glass, painted the channels and cleaned out all of the old sticky white lithium grease. Removed the seats and painted the hood hinges. Cleaned out the interior of the cab, removed the firewall padding. Removed the engine bay wiring and cleaned up the fire wall.

Rotated the cab so it sits on the rear wall, Started cleaning the underside of the cab. Eventually it will get painted and then install some new heat shield materials.

Attachments

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some minor progress. Painted underside of the cab and cleaned up some other little items.
Took the transfer case shifter lever assembly completely apart, painted, lubed and reassembled it. Painted a few other smaller do-dads as well.

Have the Lizard Skin ceramic paint coming. So that will go on over the bottom paint and possibly on the cab floor.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks