• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 possible blown engine?

m1010freedom

Been having some trouble with the M1010.

About a month ago cut out on me and after a bunch of different tests found out it wasnt getting fuel to the injectors somehow. At first I thought it could be the mechanical fuel pump which are known to go out so I bypassed it and put in an electric fuel pump rated at 7psi.

Well it still wasnt working so we did some more tests and found out that the actual injector pump went out. So i got the old one rebuilt and we threw it back in the truck. The thing fired right up and that same day we drove it up to malibu to spend the night in it. It drove pretty good other than a sort of knocking sound which at first I thought was the radiator fan hitting the shroud. But i got out checked the oil level and engine coolant just to make sure everything was good, and it was.

We got up to malibu fine. But when we woke up the next morning and started the ambulance, It fired right up. And we made it about 100 yards down the road when it started losing power, the oil light came on, and the rpm’s got super high and all of a sudden it just cut out completely and i popped the hood and a bunch of white smoke was coming out of the air intake area. Went to start it back up and it wouldn’t even turn over. So called AAA and Towed it home.

I am kind of stuck between getting this motor fixed or just spending the money and dropping in something else.

Two questions:

1) If you were to drop in an engine and transmission for around 10K with labor what would it be?

2) I am having trouble finding a shop that will even look at the 6.2 in Southern California. Any Old school dudes with time or a shop that you guys know of down in So-Cal to diagnose this engine to see if its even worth rebuilding?

cucvrus

You want to spend 10K. Put it on a flat bed and send it east I will fix the truck and ship it back to you for less then 10K. 10K does a lot of work on an engine. I put engines in HMMWV for much less then that. Send it east. I will be waiting. Last time I shipped a Mercedes to LA it cost me $1700. so figure $4K for transportation both ways and I will do the rest from there and you will still have change from 10K.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perfect opportunity to drop in a GEP 6.5 NA with 4L80E takeout from Southern Metals.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would rebuild or find another 6.2L.
Sure you can put something else in and many guys have.
But to me, that engine is the heart and soul of the CUCV truck.
Good or bad, regardless of what some think about the stock 6.2, that's what it was born with.

With something else installed, it becomes......different.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is (was?) a good shop off the 605. I can't remember the name of it, but I'm pretty sure I still have the owner's phone number. PM me if you're interested.

richingalveston

got a good 6.2 and a banks kit if you are in need. pm me.

for 10k I would probably come get the truck, put my 6.2 in it and then bring it back to you. or bring my 6.2 and install it at your place

m1010freedom

Perfect opportunity to drop in a GEP 6.5 NA with 4L80E takeout from Southern Metals.
The 6.5 is what i was thinking about for ease of swap and cost effectiveness. I dont necessarily mind the 6.2 when it ran just want it running and not sure exactly what is wrong with it. It is above my skill set at this point. Apparently it was the whole time since I probably ****ed something up. My main concern is finding a shop that will even look at it to either rebuild or swap here in so cal.

I am not trying to spend 10k Id much rather not sell a bunch of stuff in order to do the swap. Id prefer to spend a few grand getting this thing running again but If there was a engine and tranny combination that would be worth it for 10k id do it. I love this thing.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, I remembered (finally). It's Diesel-Tune in Downey, CA. The number is 529-929-6554. Also, apparently he has a website, "dieseltuneinc.com".
Mike's a very good guy, and very familiar with 6.2s, so I'm sure he'll treat you right.
By the way, all I had handy was his cell number, and I'm sure you understand why I didn't want to post that.

snowtrac nome

well I would just find a good 6.5 and drop it into your bay with the th 400 that would be easy and cost effective. that said an early model 65 with a turbo and db-2 pump would be a score you would have to engineer an intake and exhaust. also a cummins and a 47rh auto would be nice. but much more work. if you want to look real cool I bet you could shoehorn a 3208 cat under the hood just not in your budget I vot a na 6.5 and the exisithng th 400 or a 6.5 turbo if you can find one in good condition and as for an od trans I would likely go 4l80 with astandalone controller if you think it has to be changed to.

m1010freedom

If you're going the swap route, I have a healthy 6.5 and the 4L80E to go with it. Not used, other than dyno time on the engine.
Awesome I will let you know what ends up happening first things first is getting this thing checked out by an actual mechanic.

Also, hoping some people can chime in on this. If i do go the 6.5 what year is the best? and which transmission would be the best choice I would prefer having something with more gears or overdrive. Wouldn't mind having a manual tranny either