• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 Radio ideas

F0Rabbit

I recently bought a M1010 (First Military Vehicle, Sooo freggin excited) I was wondering how one puts a radio in a military vehicle that doesn't have spot for one or its speakers. Could use any ideas!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
There was a radio rack that went on the hump in the cab. Where in WV, I know a guy that has a set up in his M1010. He's not selling it but if you can't find one, you might be able to get measurements and fab one.

The radio would be either a GRC160 or VRC46 (either/or would be technically correct but most usual would be a 46).

Drock

The sky's the limit, These trucks aren't 63' split window corvettes, you can modify them as you see fit. I myself haven't installed one as of yet. But I'm a fan of the headliner mounted radio & speaker set ups....

Last edited:

FrankenCub

I'm a member of the site Drock linked to and guys there have come up with great ways to mount radios in trucks that didn't originally have them. Anyone can hack a dash with a saw but some of those guys make it look right, and easy.
Not to take away anything from this site, but when it comes to customizing Chevy trucks, that site is top notch.

MarcusOReallyus

I'm near Charleston. Also I'm looking for a set up for music, not communications. My bad.
Nope. Not yours. ;)

The standard civvy spot for the radio is there - it's just covered with a blank piece of plastic. It's very straightforward to remove that and install a standard radio.

Crutchfield.com has everything you need. Just remember that you are looking for a radio, speakers, and mounting hardware for a 1984 C series pickup.

Call them if you need to - they are very helpful. They aren't going to know anything about an M1010, and if you mention that, you'll just confuse them. Just explain what you have a 1984 C series Chevy with no speakers in stalledand the radio slot is empty and covered with a blank, and they can guide you from there. If you are comfortable cutting holes in your doors, you'll be good to go.

galeo7171

If you take the dash pad off, the holes are there for the front speakers. I can't remember the size, I think they are 3.5" and you can pick the mounts from a junk yard. I also installed some 6x9 speakers in boxes on the rear wheel well hump. As far as the radio goes, you can get the template online to trace and cut the hole for a standard DIN radio.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks