• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 transmission problem

riggermedic

Today I took my M1010 to go clear out my storage unit while idling In park it began making a clunking noise rhythmic with the engine when I hit the gas pedal the noise increased with the motor but then went away after loading up. I tried to drive away and it felt very mushy then stop driving altogether I could place it in first gear and rev up enough to get it rolling then place it in drive and it would drive OK I only had to go 4 miles but it only made it 2. While driving to storage the only transmission problem I noted was a delayed shift into second gear however when shifting into second it did so smoothly
It almost feels as if the transmission level is low and the torque converter is not engaging
The transmission level is full and the fluid appears new
I previously drained and refilled of the transfer case as it had strawberry milkshake appearing fluid in it with water contamination this was drained and refilled six months ago and A vent line was added
I tried it in four-wheel-drive and no change or difference
It starts and runs fine the motor sounds perfectly fine
Just prior to this happening in reverse it felt as if it was binding
The shift linkage is connected and works normal and when in park the vehicle will not roll forward or backward however every other gear just plain does not work
Does anybody have any idea of any further tests I should do or what this problem could possibly be?
Any input would be greatly appreciated as I do not know a lot about transmissions are transfer cases

rustystud

You had "strawberry" colored fluid in the transfer-case ? That means you seals are bad between the transmission and transfer-case. Did you also drain the transmission fluid ? You mentioned water in the transfer-case. Did you go 4 wheeling in some water recently ? Water in an automatic transmission is a serious No No ! and by trying to drive it further you might have seriously damaged the friction clutches and front pump. The first thing to do is drop the oil pan and check the oil and oil filter. If there is signs of water there then you should take the truck in and get the transmission rebuilt.
Water causes the friction clutch plates to delaminate and of course tears the front pump up. Hydraulic pumps are NOT meant to pump water !
This is just a reminder to all, that if you take your truck out and play in the mud and water you must check your transmission afterwards. Not just your differentials. Also make sure your transmission vent tube is safely routed up to your engine compartment firewall.

riggermedic

The transfer case had strawberry in it, but the transmission was clean. This was like this when I bought it. I didn't realize it until after i fixed the charging isssues with the plan b mod and the ongoing starter gremlin. Drained and refillled the transfer and put new vent lines. The transmisssion is still clean and filled. I forgot to mention There was a whining sound that could barely be heard over the motor noise once it warmed up. I am going with the theory that I will need a rebuild.

rustystud

Since the transfer-case had contaminated oil from the transmission, I would replace that seal first off. Since this happened before you had the truck you don't know if the previous owner got water in the transmission. He could have got the water in the transmission and since the transfer-case seal was bad it over flowed into it. Probably not knowing that the transfer-case seal was bad he only replaced the transmission fluid trying to cover up his mistake of getting water in the transmission.
Just a guess, but after years of dealing with the public and their excuses for what happened to their vehicle you start to become a "Sherlock Holmes" detective to find out the "real" truth. Especially when a vehicle is under warranty.

Chaski

The whirring noise you mentioned could be a sign that the pump is shot. That would explain the lack of any action when you put it in any gear. Try dropping the transmission pan and seeing if there is any metallic peanut butter at the bottom or in the filter

riggermedic

I checked on her today, transmission shows full and clean. transfer case shows clean-ish I'm thinking A second flush would help. The transmission never had water contamination. The whirring noise I heard, now with some research on YouTube sounds like a classic transmission pump. I'll remove the pan and take a look inside and post some pictures but unfortunately this will be project number three. I have a friends suburban clutch and my daily driver that needs looking after first
My question now is what do I want to do with a rebuilt transmission? are there any specifics that I need to ask for for heavier duty or longer life?
I really do not look forward to dropping this transmission and only want to do it once any tips tricks help or advice is appreciated I do not look forward to doing this in a friends driveway

rustystud

I checked on her today, transmission shows full and clean. transfer case shows clean-ish I'm thinking A second flush would help. The transmission never had water contamination. The whirring noise I heard, now with some research on YouTube sounds like a classic transmission pump. I'll remove the pan and take a look inside and post some pictures but unfortunately this will be project number three. I have a friends suburban clutch and my daily driver that needs looking after first
My question now is what do I want to do with a rebuilt transmission? are there any specifics that I need to ask for for heavier duty or longer life?
I really do not look forward to dropping this transmission and only want to do it once any tips tricks help or advice is appreciated I do not look forward to doing this in a friends driveway
There are quite a few "mods" you can do with the TH400. It just depends on how much you want to spend. I posted some here last year.
Blue Alto clutches, Kolene Steels, new pump gears, Torrington bearing upgrades, rear bushing upgrade along with Torrington thrust bearing, stronger and wider 2nd gear band, and of course increasing the clutches in the intermediate clutch pack to 5 or more instead of the factory 3 . Then you can get into playing with the oil pressures in the valve body.
So much you can do. If you want this transmission to handle up to 2000HP you can do that too. "Marange" steel input and intermediate shafts, 6 gear pinions, 8 clutch forward and direct clutch packs, all Torrington thrust washers. I actually have my TH400 down to 0.005" endplay on the input and 0.003" on the rear output shafts. It can handle over 800HP all day long without breaking a sweat. The most expensive TH400 transmission I ever built was for a car racer I knew back in the 1980's. It could handle over 2000 HP. He got ahold of me about 6 years ago and wanted me to build him another TH400 but I didn't have the time then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks