• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1,2,3 Bed Weight Variance

bap5340

I'm looking to build an M101 trailer. My desire is for the A3 with the wider spacing between the wheel wells, but am sensitive to overall weight. I have not seen a weight published for the different bed sizes (76" M101A1 vs 100" M101A2/3).

Does anyone have the figures on the weight of the two different beds?

Has anyone fabricated a new frame that helps save weight, yet still be rugged enough for light off-road use (perhaps box frame vs C-channel)? I am already planning on going with an axle such as a Dexter 3500# with electric brakes and parking brake.

There are a couple of leads here in the Phoenix area and auctions coming up in the Southwest.

Very Respectfully,

Bruce

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I dont have any hard facts or numbers, I have dealt with all 3 bodies. The wheel wells are the same on all 3 bodies. The A3 just has them pushed out farther. The extra bracing and lift eyes on the newer boxes by themselves would very likely weight less than a case of your favorite beverage and a sack of ice. As far as the frame, only the tongue arms are boxed and heavy. The trailer frame sans box is actually kind of flimsy. If you are weight conscious, the axle and hitch are are the best viable places to pare off weight. Mark Harley would be your best source of info on paring one of these trailers, he has lots of experience. I'd expect him to be along shortly.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the m101a1 with the old school brake drums, budd wheels, & axle is heavier than the m101a2/3 with surge brakes but the surge brake adds its own weight so it is a toss up. A new axle with electric brakes such as dexter would save weight.

I concur the beds are negligible diff in weight as they are built the same.

I posted the latest tm in the trailer section revised a few years ago (2011?). Look in it for weights empty and loaded but I doubt it is more than a few hundred lbs variance.

John Galt

I agree that the axle, wheels, tires, and surge brake assemble are the only real places to remove weight. I tried to put on on a diet and was pretty unsuccessful. I would keep the components even if you demo the surge brake assembly.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
some tid bits of info I have gathered as I am trying to have some data plates made for a m101a1 & m116a1 and I also own a m101a2/m116a2

an empty m116a1 frame with wheels is 875 lbs, m116a2 is 780 lbs . Not surprising as those old school m37 brake drums are way overkill for just a parking brake.

m101a1 empty is 1340 lbs, so the bed is 465lbs according to data plates and pictures I have.

Hope this helps.

SgtMoonracer

i had my M101A3 (without rails and top) weighed prior to getting a load of topsoil. It weighed 1240 lbs. empty. This was with everything stock, except that the wheels and tires were replaced with 16" 8-lug wheels, with 245/75-16 tires instead of the stock wheels and tires.