• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A1 Electrical Questions

hoffy85

I just picked up a M101A1 trailer the other day. I've done some researching on the lights and wiring. So far I've found that they're set up with a 24v wiring and lights. I saw that many ppl just wire them for 12v. I was curious if anyone sells an updated "ready to go" wiring harness that you can just reinstall in place of the old one?

Also can I put 12v bulbs in my 24v lights?

Thanks in advance
Jeff

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try scrolling down the page and reading some of the similar threads.

All the questions you have been posting have been covered at some point.

Spend some time searching and you will find most of what you need.

Yes, change the bulbs and the trailer plug. Diagrams, schematics and bulb numbers have been posted many many times.

hoffy85

I've gone through all the articles listed below and a few others. I found out that I can use 12v bulbs in place of the 24 volt ones. I also couldn't find much on a newer wiring harness. I did find one article that said you could buy one but the link didn't work. Sooooo.......can I get a new 12v wiring harness that's ready to go with a 7 prong plug for my 2003 chevy duramax?

papakb

There is no rewiring necessary to use 12v bulbs in your 101 trailer or any military vehicle for that matter. With the exception of the dash lamps and the one in the turn signal switch (BA9s) all the bulbs all the BA15 based lamps and are available in 6, 12 and 24 volts. All you need to know is whether you need a single contact base (BA15S) or a double contact base (BA15D). For true universal use I'd suggest replacing the bulbs with today' LED replacements. Most operate on 10-30 volts so the same trailer you pull with your 24v military vehicle can now be pulled with your Dodge Ram truck without having to switch bulbs.

hoffy85

That link is great! I think I kind of have everything figured out. If I needed to replace one of the wires in the set up what size or kind of wiring would I need to use?

hoffy85

It should be built in. The 7 flat connector is near the bumper and tow package. Also some of the wires on my trailer have just been messed with over the years by someone else. What gauge wires should I be using? 16 gauge?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's 14ga.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hoffy, please edit your user profile to list your State of residence. It is a site requirement.